PANORAMIC ROOF SWAP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
PANORAMIC ROOF SWAP

I have a panel beater friend who has a W211. He fixes smashes for a living and he's pretty good, the car he's driving was smashed from the back and he fixed it.

The other day he came over to grab something off me and while we were talking he tells me he's trying to find a pano roof to install on his non-pano car. I know someone who has one.

I tell him this is a terrible idea as I think you have to cut the roof and it will ruin the structural rigidity of the car and it won't be 100% and it might leak etc but he's confident he can and dismissed any of my concerns.

I don't want him to ruin his car and probably render it dangerous. What do you guys think, is he crazy or what?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Encourage him to do it, follow and document his progress and then post it all here
Old 08-24-2016, 01:23 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
i'd just look for a car that already has Panoramic...its going to cost a few thousand to do the work where as the money spent in purchasing a car that already has it would be a wash.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by Skizz
Encourage him to do it, follow and document his progress and then post it all here
HAHA Good idea but seriously he's a good guy and my friend I don't want him to butcher his car then throw it in the trash.

Originally Posted by hachiroku
i'd just look for a car that already has Panoramic...its going to cost a few thousand to do the work where as the money spent in purchasing a car that already has it would be a wash.
Did you read what I wrote? It's not for me, I wouldn't even think to try this.

He's a PANEL BEATER though, why would it cost him thousands? I can get him the one I know of for $200. Why would it cost thousands if he's doing the actual labor and install since he's a panel beater/smash repairer?

It's not the cost though, I just think it's not possible but I'm not exactly sure.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
didn't know what panel beater, or fixes smashies meant until your last post...carry on.

pound that meat

Old 08-24-2016, 03:34 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
HAHA Good idea but seriously he's a good guy and my friend I don't want him to butcher his car then throw it in the trash.

Ok, seriously then, adding even an aftermarket sunroof is sketchy enuff. Even seen dealerships do it around here (albeit many years ago) from ASC (a good company) and in general they have leak issues due to seals, rattles due to hardware and mounting, and even if it does look decent, it still can't hold a candle to an oem application. One of my best friends owns a body/restoration shop and I've seen all kinds of stuff. Never seen someone try to add a pano. If it was a donor car, I'd say, sure, try it out if his skills are good. However, there is the strongest likelihood that what you mention that could happen, will. I too think it is a terrible idea.

Last edited by Skizz; 08-24-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
if he does it...do a solar cooling panoramic roof. that would be cool.

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2016, 03:58 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Actually, thinking about the details of it all, if he is wanting to use an oem rig, you may be right about the "not possible" part. Consider the black panel in front of the pano panel that is functional and operates in conjunction with the pano panel. Then the track mechanism that runs the roof rails. Anything is possible, I guess, but I dunno. It seems like he would have to cut the whole non-pano roof out and replace it with the whole pano roof, like, the whole roof. Then the electricals which probably run to the SAM in the rear, assuming that won't have to switch out the SAM module.......

I'm no professional with this, but it seems there is a whole lot more here than just cut and paste.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
If he really is a body guy, just swap the entire roof over from crashed pano car. (as if they are fixing a rollover)
Old 08-24-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
Originally Posted by kenneyd
If he really is a body guy, just swap the entire roof over from crashed pano car. (as if they are fixing a rollover)
Similar to how roll bars are installed in race cars, there are usually joints that are welded holding the roof on. Cut the joints and the roof is usually one piece.

Swap roofs and you have a pano roof car. Don't see why it would be too difficult if he has the tools and skills.

Now coding it may be a different story.

Would like to see pics if possible. Cool project!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E 350 4 Matic 2008 , ML 350 4 Matic 2013
did your friend ever do the swap ? I am thinking the same and I think I it’s doable as longest you have the parts .

Originally Posted by e500slr
I have a panel beater friend who has a W211. He fixes smashes for a living and he's pretty good, the car he's driving was smashed from the back and he fixed it.

The other day he came over to grab something off me and while we were talking he tells me he's trying to find a pano roof to install on his non-pano car. I know someone who has one.

I tell him this is a terrible idea as I think you have to cut the roof and it will ruin the structural rigidity of the car and it won't be 100% and it might leak etc but he's confident he can and dismissed any of my concerns.

I don't want him to ruin his car and probably render it dangerous. What do you guys think, is he crazy or what?
Old 11-21-2020, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
Longest = as long as