Old 09-15-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05' E55 Wagon, 18' S90 T6, 00' M5, 19' F150
Wagon backup camera question

I am planning on purchasing this AVIN head unit for our E55 Wagon:
https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-e-...on-system.html

Along with this to solve having to bypass MOST:
https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...edes-benz.html

I was fully ready to buy their backup camera as well and then figured I should double check my license plate light part number. Sure enough, its different from what they say works:
https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-ba...class-cls.html

"Mercedes-Benz Backup Camera

Compatible with:
C-Class W203 from 2000-2007
E-Class W211 from 2002-2008
CLS-Class W219 from 2004-2011

The MBCAM-ECLS is designed specifically for use with the Mercedes C-Class (W203, 2007-2007), E-Class (W211, 2002-2008) and CLS-Class (W219, 2004-2011). Its unique design means that no holes whatsoever need to be drilled; the MBCAM-ECLS will simply replace your existing rear license plate light cover, integrating seamlessly with the existing bulb. The MBCAM-ECLS is designed to replicate the size and shape of the existing license plate light but with a discrete inbuilt camera.

The picture below shows the original Mercedes-Benz rear number plate lamp this camera is designed to replace. The OEM part number which is on the front of the lamp lens cover is A2038200256, please check this is the same as your rear number plate lamp to ensure compatibility."

I have part number A2118200756 on my wagon which looks like it is also on SLK's and maybe a few other cars. The part numbers do not overlap or supercede one another from what I can tell. The overall shape looks pretty close to identical. I guess I could waste a few dollars checking to see if the parts will all work before I order the rest of the equipment, but I was hoping someone on here may have run into this and would be able to confirm that the camera will work on the wagon.

I was bored so I tried to find similar pics of both lights and put them together for your expert opinions

The red background is the light I have. the other is what all non-wagon w211's have:

Wagon backup camera question-screen-20shot-202016-09-15-20at-209.45.57-20pm_zpsqinikoa4.png

Wagon backup camera question-screen-20shot-202016-09-15-20at-209.43.49-20pm_zpscdzqua9g.png

any thoughts on whether the dimensions are the same?

Any links to someone who has done this with their wagon already, so i can hit myself in the head for wasting so much time learning about license plate lighting part numbers?
Old 09-18-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
do not do it!!!
i ended up with the pioneer 4100nex. get the 4200nex. it's a pain in the *** to install. as is EVERYTHING ELSE because absolutely nothing allows you to bypass the fiber optic system installed in the car. you can either get a serious head or another amp. i decided on getting another amplifier. a 5 channel amp. i got an alpine one. i has one channel specifically for the sub. i replaced the junk sub that we have with a JL one that, with little mods, fits nicely into the box in the back. the fronts got REAL (not the new stuff) MB Quarts that i had around forever and the back i put in some Focals. The car sounds incredible to what it used to sound. You absolutely need to get rid of the center dash speaker and the two overheads in the back. They totally suck.

Part of the install was a camera (i hurt my neck in a motorcycle race at sears point a million years ago) above the license plate. it works super well. it connects to the pioneer system without a hitch. it makes parking in cambridge something absolutely different.

nice wheels!
The following users liked this post:
jcjmw (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E63 Kombi
I literally just installed this today: http://pearlauto.com

It is an amazing camera that completely eliminates any wiring, installs in under 5 minutes, is discrete, and is very effective. I live in NYC and a back up camera is a must here. After looking at many set ups literally for years, I finally found exactly what I need and am very happy with it.

Wagon backup camera question-img_9736_zpstmyksjt7.jpg
The following users liked this post:
jcjmw (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
Originally Posted by ilko

It is an amazing camera that completely eliminates any wiring, installs in under 5 minutes, is discrete, and is very effective. I live in NYC and a back up camera is a must here. After looking at many set ups literally for years, I finally found exactly what I need and am very happy with it.

those things are super nifty. if i only needed a backup system, i would wholly recommend such a system as i did (in a PM). nice car, BTW! and yes, in NYC, you must have one or get a rubber skirt and practice "helen keller parking"
Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by sciroccor
do not do it!!!
i ended up with the pioneer 4100nex. get the 4200nex. it's a pain in the *** to install. as is EVERYTHING ELSE because absolutely nothing allows you to bypass the fiber optic system installed in the car. you can either get a serious head or another amp. i decided on getting another amplifier. a 5 channel amp. i got an alpine one. i has one channel specifically for the sub. i replaced the junk sub that we have with a JL one that, with little mods, fits nicely into the box in the back. the fronts got REAL (not the new stuff) MB Quarts that i had around forever and the back i put in some Focals. The car sounds incredible to what it used to sound. You absolutely need to get rid of the center dash speaker and the two overheads in the back. They totally suck.

Part of the install was a camera (i hurt my neck in a motorcycle race at sears point a million years ago) above the license plate. it works super well. it connects to the pioneer system without a hitch. it makes parking in cambridge something absolutely different.

nice wheels!
Thanks for the info, warning and sharing your experience!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by ilko

I am going to give this a try. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 PM

I went ahead and ordered everything last friday.

I am not looking for audiophile sound out of this car. I really just need a seamless bluetooth connection and a backup camera. While that license place backup camera looking incredibly slick, I still need the bluetooth streaming to make the wife happy. Really, streaming bluetooth (my Mobridge unit the car came with is terrible) is the most important part of all of this. Having my wife fumbling around with her phone and getting irritated at me for calling her while she is driving needs solution.

In the case of going the pioneer route, I actually want to keep the MOST ring intact. I don't want to bypass anything. I want to keep the car as close to original as I can while still trying to get some of todays technology into it. As much as wiring the backup camera looks like a complete pain in the ***, I need to take my tailgate apart anyways to fix a non-working wiper motor.

I will update with my experience once everything arrives and I have a full day to work on it.

I appreciate all the alternative solutions!

Last edited by ekalb; 09-20-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280 4 Matic
So did the camera work for you?
Old 09-28-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TheWire1o1
So did the camera work for you?
Have the same question...
Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by e55aed
Have the same question...

nope. In the end, I just left everything oem and ditched the project entirely.

I actually haven’t thought about it since, but the car doesn’t get used very often.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ekalb
nope. In the end, I just left everything oem and ditched the project entirely.

I actually haven’t thought about it since, but the car doesn’t get used very often.
I see. Planning to do this with my E55 2005 (sedan, Japanese import) now. Wish me luck!
Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by e55aed
I see. Planning to do this with my E55 2005 (sedan, Japanese import) now. Wish me luck!
I actually had to just re-read my original post since I forgot what I even did/ordered.

Hopefully mobile electronic solutions have improved for this car in the past three years.

good luck