DIY for Airmatic pump swap for E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
DIY for Airmatic pump swap for E55?

Just wondering if anyone has a DIY with pics on how to swap the airmatic pump on 2005 E55?

I think I should change the relay too. Is it the same as fuel pump relay? Where is it located exactly on an 05?

What else should I do or check while I'm in there?

Do I need any special tools? Have the airmatic light on the dash with arrow pointing up. Do I need star to clear that code on dash?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
It's a pretty straight forward install. The compressor is on the drivers side in front of the tire. By removing the tire, inside liner, and splash guard directly beneath, you will have access to all that's needed to remove cleanly. It's four or five bolts and an electrical connect. Very straightforward disco. I have an '04 and the relay is in the drivers side electric box under hood, and it's the last one towards the dash. Same type as the fuel pump and air pump relays. Bought at O'reilley or Auto zone. Are you certain your air compressor is shot? If you need me to send a pic of the relay location i will, but mine is an 04. Once you are back in business, the dash indicator should clear out. The height sensors are on the front struts and i think those are what throw that message. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
I have the items in full view right now at my garage in Mira Mesa. If you needed to see in and around the pump to figure it out, and also buy my working used one, we can do that this weekend.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Nice thanks, I'm not home with the car, or I would take you up on that generous offer. Ordered a new pump so we shall see.

Pretty sure its the pump because the air springs all fill up with air and it drives normal until left rear decides to drop. If I go up my driveway the same side fills up with the air then its back to normal and will stay like that. Or if I jack up that side and start the car. It fills up with the air too and then its fine. So, not sure the bag has a leak. Im told it's the pump is going out.