2006 E55 Suspension Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
2006 E55 Suspension Advice

Hey guys,

So I know this has been talked about numerous times but wanted to get some simplified information on the process of changing from the air suspension to coilovers in my 2006 E55. My E55 is at 56K and although my suspension works fine for now I understand that is bound to fail and most likely at a very bad time.

Is this worth doing?

Pros/Cons?

What coilovers are recommended? Brands, kits, etc. I would be interested in a kit that includes everything needed.

Is this a DIY or recommended for a pro?

Is the old air suspension able to be sold after it is taken out?

As always you guys are rad. Any advice, info, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
My advice: don't do it. The air suspension is engineered for the cars best balance of ride and handling. If it fails it's not entire system. The compressor/pump is simple to replace yourself if it fails. Each airspring can be replaced by you with an Arnott brand using no special tools and DIY write ups from this site.

My 2006 has 86k miles and is on all original air suspension parts. If it starts to leak air, I'll find that leak and repair
Old 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
As someone that made the switch to coilovers, I can tell you I have mixed feelings about the change. The pros are cost and reliability. The cons are ride quality and not being able to raise it like you can with the stock suspension. I've bottomed out over a couple of tall speed bumps in parking garages.

My car had 120k on it when it blew out a front strut. I am glad I will never have that happen again. I've also landed at the airport and had my car sitting there completely bottomed out due to a leak. This isn't fun at 1:30 AM! I guess I wanted to eliminate that possibility, but i can tell you, the ride is not the same. The stock ride is very smooth and the coil overs really aren't. They seem to let me feel every imperfection in the road, where the stock suspension didn't. It's somewhere in between Sport 1 and 2.

If you are mechanically inclined, it is a project worth doing. It is very difficult though. As mentioned above, swapping out stock parts for Arnott air replacements is a very good idea in terms of cost and ease of job. I went with Arnott Coilovers, and the install was straight forward and the kit came with everything. The ride quality isn't as good, but they will never go out on me again.

As a point of reference, my kit was about $1,500 on Amazon. I was able to sell my other strut, mileage and all, on ebay for $250, got another $50 or $100 from Arnott for the failed piece as well. I did the job over a two weekend time frame this past Summer.
The following 2 users liked this post by WesttxJR:
Max.H (12-15-2016), patrick_y (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:12 AM

2006 E55 AMG
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sold on the whole thing as yet but do like the idea of reliability and stance. We will see. I honestly thought people would be more in favor of the change but this has not been the case so far.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I was debating this as well a few months ago.

Knowing this could eventually happen, I was always dreading this nightmare. But a few months ago, I got home from dinner, went back to the car to get something out of the trunk and I saw the car and heard the pump trying to raise the left front corner.

The car is 10 years old at this point, with probably around 74,000 miles.

Ended up replacing both front struts at the dealer. I do imagine that I will eventually have to do the rears. Dealer provided official Mercedes struts that were re-manufactured. They do not come with a generous warranty however, whereas the Arnotts will cover the part (but not labor) of a future Arnott failure.

I estimate that the fronts will be problem free for the next several years (originals lasted ten years).

Things you notice:
1. Handling and response through the suspension does improve. Car feels more direct.
2. My fuel economy seems to have improved slightly, however can't be certain. Maybe suspension's air pump is working less, drawing less power? Is that enough to make a difference?
3. Suspension sounds, squeaks, when turning or driving over speed bumps. There might be a little bit more sounds than the stock suspension. It's possible the sounds are only audible in the beginning, and once the car has been driven more, the components settle or break in to the point they make less sounds.

If your car is at 56k, time to start thinking about it, or at least expecting it. Happens with virtually no warning. Might not be a bad idea to just replace it pre-emptively. It's not a matter of if it will happen, it almost definitely will, just a matter of when. Your car is also around 10 years old. It's quite possible it'll give up any week or any month.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
i think when there were no after market replacements and OEM replacements were 2000 per corner coil overs were a good choice -- with arnotts air suspension at 450 per corner its relativley cheap and you keep oem feel but its still not OEM if your a purist... i am still undecided which way to go with arnotts air or strutmaster has coil overs also.. if one of them would come up with a worthwhile sale i may be persuaded either way... mine has 105k on originals - not bad

Last edited by new55; 12-09-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by patrick_y
I was debating this as well a few months ago.

Knowing this could eventually happen, I was always dreading this nightmare. But a few months ago, I got home from dinner, went back to the car to get something out of the trunk and I saw the car and heard the pump trying to raise the left front corner.

The car is 10 years old at this point, with probably around 74,000 miles.

Ended up replacing both front struts at the dealer. I do imagine that I will eventually have to do the rears. Dealer provided official Mercedes struts that were re-manufactured. They do not come with a generous warranty however, whereas the Arnotts will cover the part (but not labor) of a future Arnott failure.

I estimate that the fronts will be problem free for the next several years (originals lasted ten years).

Things you notice:
1. Handling and response through the suspension does improve. Car feels more direct.
2. My fuel economy seems to have improved slightly, however can't be certain. Maybe suspension's air pump is working less, drawing less power? Is that enough to make a difference?
3. Suspension sounds, squeaks, when turning or driving over speed bumps. There might be a little bit more sounds than the stock suspension. It's possible the sounds are only audible in the beginning, and once the car has been driven more, the components settle or break in to the point they make less sounds.

If your car is at 56k, time to start thinking about it, or at least expecting it. Happens with virtually no warning. Might not be a bad idea to just replace it pre-emptively. It's not a matter of if it will happen, it almost definitely will, just a matter of when. Your car is also around 10 years old. It's quite possible it'll give up any week or any month.
All good points and info thank you. Having a more standard suspension is appealing to me. I want my car low and to handle well. I'm not too concerned with ride quality as I am the only one who spends any long periods of time in it. But stock also has its draws. Thanks again for your input my friend!