Sponsored by:

E63 Windshield Tint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W211 E63
E63 Windshield Tint?

Did this gen E63 come with or come with an option for a factory windshield tint? When replacing the inspection stickers on my car the shop f***** up the tint laminate on my windshield. I am trying to figure out if it is stock or not before dealing with the shop.

You can see in the pic it looks like s*** and they are footing the bill to replace it but i wanna have my ducks in a row before i go in. I dont want to loose the gradient look of the tint, it is one of my favorite features.

The glass says PGW Tint Laminate on the bottom passenger side of the windshield.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I have a 2009 and don't know if it works differently for that MY, so take my experience for what it is worth.

I just had my windshield replaced because my original was pitted pretty badly and I though it detracted from the overall appearance. I worked closely with the shop I used after vetting them pretty thoroughly (I'm very **** about my car). We ordered the windshield from my VIN from the local MB parts house. I looked at my VMI and window sticker and it did not give any info on my windshield options, but in speaking with the MB parts guy, there are oem options for windshields of green tint with/without shade and blue tint with/without shade. I just spoke with the shop that did the replacement and he said that the shade they refer to is the tinted band at the top. My car had the blue tint with no shade, and it does not have the band at the top, like yours. From what I can see in your pic, it appears that you may have one of the oem (or even aftermarket) green or blue tints with the shade.

With oem windshields, the tint is in the laminate and is not surface applied. Again, from the pic you posted, it appears that a PO has an aftermarket tint applied to the inside of your windshield and when the tag was to be replaced, they sprayed and scraped it, getting to where it is now. I recently had my side and rear windows tinted with spectra-tint and although windshield tinting was offered, I declined to do it; this being one of the reasons. If the inspection shop had known, or seen, that it was tinted, they may have been able to mitigate such damage; then again, maybe not.

It may be that a professional shop could remove the tint leaving your stock windshield not too much worse for the wear, and your upper shade still intact, provided it is an oem (or even aftermarket) shaded windshield with the shade strip in the laminate. From your pic, the shade doesn't look like it is an aftermarket strip.

Hope this helps and again note that this is my experience only with recently replacing my windscreen. I reserve the right to be wrong

Last edited by Skizz; 12-14-2016 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
R6slayer (12-14-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
13 C63 AMG P31
It looks like you have an aftermarket windshield because I dont see the Mercedes - benz logo on the side... It does look like a Pilkington logo though
Old 12-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
'12 MB E63 '95 Blown E36 M3
Your windshield is tinted with window film. The OEM with tint is in the glass and not installed on the inside like your windshield.
The following users liked this post:
R6slayer (12-19-2016)