Sponsored by:

2005 E55 AMG Airmatic Rear Suspension Drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
keep us posted, this may help others too.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Maybe this

Originally Posted by 2K5E55AMG
I've replaced the old pump with a new Arnott pump.

The car doesn't sink overnight, it actually stays up for weeks if not used. And the car lifts ok when I hit the raise button.

Let me know what you think of this: I think it may be an issue with the storage tank maintaining the proper pressure or air. I believe the tank is used to fill the airbags when the engine is not on. After the car is sitting for a long period of time, the air in the tank is not sufficient to supply air to the rear bags so during the door unlock (engine off) the rear slowly sags. So the first 10-15 mins of driving results in sagging rear. But after driving for 15-20 mins, the compressor refills the air in tank and rear bags and thus inflates.

I have never gotten the error light for not enough pressure from compressor to tank so I'm not sure if there's an issue with the tank. My indy has hooked up to STAR and got no codes.
Super good. Here is the reason why I mention all this been in same situation only was to high after a work shop visit when picking the car sits much higher than before and I got so pissed sorry the language AMG center claimed we didn't do anything but never had problems either and asked them to reset and recalibration.
​​​​but they keep claiming is leaking in the rear resovoir we see white powder on the hoses know the resovoir and a long story to make it short ended up with them paying the instalation and I bought the arnotts rear they replaced them tech called me when done no change I was busted so again asked them to Reset & recalibration (recalibration) important.
He then see the front somehow to low and the system will then adjust to compensate even when my wife and kids was I the rear jesus christ I had room for 30" wheel ") when they got out it came down little bit but the RESET did nothing it was the recalibration there was nothing wrong with resovoir or old airmatic was like new like new still have them anyway problem was finally solved.

​​​​and could finally concentrate on clonk rear with was the like most E Class happens for all e-class not just e55 rear subframe bushings.

The expense I had with these 2 things busted me lol but is how it is im a happy E55 owner now and would pay again I'd problem happens

Hope someone can use this info and ur problem. get solved beo
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 596 Likes on 267 Posts
poop
Im just hypothesizing...
When you unlockdoors or open the doors or trunk, the system opens valves to level the car.
The car uses stored pressure in a tank to do this. what if the tank is empty? does it still open the valves?
I would imagine there has to be a sensor that checks the pressure in the tank, if that sensor is bad, it would explain the drop when the valves are open.

Im having intermittent issues with mine as well. basically, usually it takes 8-14 days parked to drop the rear, but occasionally it will drop in an hour. If it was a leak in the bags, that wouldn't explain the intermittentness of it
Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55. 2003 E320
Hi all, first post here.

Just bought a 2005 E55 AMG about a year ago and 4 months after I've been having rear suspension problems.

The rear would drop after I start the car and drive out of my driveway. I noticed that when I unlock the doors with my key fob, there is a release of air and after that I switch the engine on and drive out of my driveway, the rear would slowly drop lower and lower. After I drive for a while, shut off the car, then turn it on, I see the rear go up. This happens randomly and often. The rear doesn't drop overnight or even over weeks, only when I either unlock the car or start the car.

I've replaced the rear airbags with Arnotts, replaced the air compressor with Arnotts, replaced the valve block, replaced the control module, replaced the rear level sensor. I've had my indy hook it up to DAS and no codes or anything.

Does anyone have any advice or input?

Thanks in advance!
I just had the same problem with my 04. I hooked up the STAR system and recalibrated the front to rear and walla, no problems. Gotta know if your ride height sensor is functioning also.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Don't be surprised if it comes back
Once you recalibrate it always needs tweaking
Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 PM

2004 E55. 2003 E320
I'm not gonna lie, coilover conversion kit is on the list for spring. Seems every 4 months I have to replace or recalibrate something on this. I do this for a living and have had to dump 3 grand into this car in one year, getting kind of old
Old 01-18-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Does anyone have the correct spec on the calibration that I can check with my indy?

I assume that he did recalibrate everything since the control module was replaced but I'll check with him.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
From what a tech told me there's no set calibration
You ell need to hook up a romess tool to set an individual car
Old 01-19-2017, 11:03 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SuperChargerE55
Super good. Here is the reason why I mention all this been in same situation only was to high after a work shop visit when picking the car sits much higher than before and I got so pissed sorry the language AMG center claimed we didn't do anything but never had problems either and asked them to reset and recalibration.
​​​​but they keep claiming is leaking in the rear resovoir we see white powder on the hoses know the resovoir and a long story to make it short ended up with them paying the instalation and I bought the arnotts rear they replaced them tech called me when done no change I was busted so again asked them to Reset & recalibration (recalibration) important.
He then see the front somehow to low and the system will then adjust to compensate even when my wife and kids was I the rear jesus christ I had room for 30" wheel ") when they got out it came down little bit but the RESET did nothing it was the recalibration there was nothing wrong with resovoir or old airmatic was like new like new still have them anyway problem was finally solved.

​​​​and could finally concentrate on clonk rear with was the like most E Class happens for all e-class not just e55 rear subframe bushings.

The expense I had with these 2 things busted me lol but is how it is im a happy E55 owner now and would pay again I'd problem happens

Hope someone can use this info and ur problem. get solved beo
When you had this issue, was the raising of the airmatic also random or intermittent?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM

2004 E55. 2003 E320
Originally Posted by Hulk
From what a tech told me there's no set calibration
You ell need to hook up a romess tool to set an individual car
Really, cause to recalibrate front to rear, you hit front to rear option on the scanner. Think your tech doesn't know what he is talking about
Old 01-19-2017, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
You don't need a Romess. You can use an inclinometer app on your cell phone. See this:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6862688

And the attachment.
Attached Files
Old 01-19-2017, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I tried that app
Didn't work well
Might work for others
Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Sorry, I was on vacation recently so couldn't check in.

I just remembered something and not sure if this affects the suspension. I had a 4 wheel alignment a couple of months ago since I got new tires, although this was done on an alignment rack, they were not a certifed MB indy.

Would an incorrect wheel alignment affect the suspension? Such as affecting the correction calibration of the camber, toe, etc and therefore the height of the suspension?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The only thing easily adjustable is the toe on both front and back. Front can use adjustable camber bolts that give +/- 0.3 degrees of camber change and some castor change.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 PM

2005 E55 AMG
I just spoke to my indy. He said he already calibrated everything for me previously.

Back to the drawing board...
Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Here's a timeline of what happens with the car and if anyone can provide more insight, I'd greatly appreciate it!

The rear only drops when I unlock the car. I can hear the air being released out. Something is triggering this, not sure what.

Drove weekly for 4 weeks on weekend, rear does not drop (height stays up) when door is unlocked each time.

Didn't drive for 2 weeks and decided to take it out, rear drops (I can hear the air release) when I unlock the door. I drove it around with the rear sagging for about 10-15mins, parked the car, ran errand for 2 hours, unlock and started the car, the rear rose back up.

Car rear stays up, no drops for 3 weeks after what I mentioned above. Decided to drive the car (after the 3 weeks), unlock the car and no issues, no drops, drove it fine. Afterwards, parked it back.

2 weeks after that, I wanted to drive it, I unlock the car and the rear drops and I can hear the air being released. It does drop all the way down but very close to the fender. At this point, I didn't take it out of my driveway and just decided to leave it. Next day, I unlocked the car, it hear it release air a little more and this time the fender is slightly covering the tire.

After this, I've been starting and shutting the engine multiple times to see if the car would re-level itself. It hasn't. Right now the car is still in the dropped position.

At this point, I think it has something to do with the wake up functions. Just have no clue as to why the car decides to release air from the rear suspension.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
There's something in the airmatic module that's not right. They do go bad

I don't know if you checked this already but there are reservoirs in the trunk that can go bad as well

Last edited by Hulk; 02-17-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I've replaced the airmatic module and that's when my indy also recalibrated the system.

I'm going to my indy this week to check the reservoir and connection lines to the tank. But the thing I still don't get is, if it was the reservoir issue, why would the car dump air when I unlock the car.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
This won't be easy to find. Something in the can is triggering this
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Do you guys know if it's normal for the car to drop slightly after engine off and over a long period of time?

I read with mix feedback on this. I've noticed the front rises after driving and seems to lower slightly after engine is off and goes slightly lower after sitting for a long period of time.

Edit: after a while the front seems to lower but the rear is pretty much same height. Is this normal or should the rear also lower slightly with the front?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
All levels are controlled by sensors

If the front is too low the rear will adjust to raise the front and same for rear, if it's too low the front will lower to adjust.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:21 AM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by kenneyd
Im just hypothesizing...
When you unlockdoors or open the doors or trunk, the system opens valves to level the car.
The car uses stored pressure in a tank to do this. what if the tank is empty? does it still open the valves?
I would imagine there has to be a sensor that checks the pressure in the tank, if that sensor is bad, it would explain the drop when the valves are open.

Im having intermittent issues with mine as well. basically, usually it takes 8-14 days parked to drop the rear, but occasionally it will drop in an hour. If it was a leak in the bags, that wouldn't explain the intermittentness of it
it will kick on the air pump. when i unlock using unlock on key fob or door handle i've witnessed my car raise the front literally an inch within 1 second. this was after parking my car on a upward pointing drive way for 2 days.

from what i could tell is...the car will self level itself to its best 30 seconds before start of car, and 30 seconds after exiting of car.

i actually had my airmatic adjust itself as i was jacking up the rear of the car to change my wheels. i believe i just exited the car and it was still within that 30 second or 1 minute time frame.

at the moment my car is lowered using an ELM, and at times when I get into my car I notice one corner is lower than normal due to uneven pavement while parked. when this happens i press the raise button, then after 5 seconds drive off...the car generally re-level's itself afterwards.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 02-18-2017, 05:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Do you guys know if it's normal for the car to drop slightly after engine off and over a long period of time?

I read with mix feedback on this. I've noticed the front rises after driving and seems to lower slightly after engine is off and goes slightly lower after sitting for a long period of time.

Edit: after a while the front seems to lower but the rear is pretty much same height. Is this normal or should the rear also lower slightly with the front?
this happens to me when i park on an upwards driveway. if you're parked on level ground you shouldn't have this occur. if this is a common occurrence and upon unlock of doors or open of doors your front will raise automatically to the correct height you most likely have small leak.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 02-18-2017, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Mine is acting up again. Was dropping overnight then stopped for a year. Now the car sits 1/2 inch lower on the drivers side rear all the time. It never levels out on any setting. On hard right hand turns I get the white visit workshop. On one occasion I did get the red car too low when driving. I turned it off restarted and hit raise and its in sport 2 for 3 weeks. No dropping. I'm thinking it's the rear level sensor
Old 02-18-2017, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
IF there's a leak it can only be in the trunk reservoirs since his rear arnotts don't use external reservoirs or the valveblock right next to the pump in the front

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 E55 AMG Airmatic Rear Suspension Drop