Sponsored by:

My insurance company is crazy!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:42 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by mightar
Really sorry to hear this. I've filed claims a couple of times with USAA and I have never experienced anything you just called out here. That's really unfortunate. I have USAA for homeowners, banking, credit card, etc. and I've never had any issues with any of that. In the end though, I guess it does depend on the actual folks who are engaged in a given claim. I would think that would apply to any insurance provider though.
I too have them for all of the above listed plus renters (I own and rent) plus life. I seem to be in the minority of members having such experiences. However, and unfortunately, I've spoken to a few members who have had similar and worse issues. Otherwise, the majority of folks have not.

I'm thinking the safe bet is to just keep them for banking and move all my insurance elsewhere.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG
Update #2

After leaving many messages and calling the persons supervisor who never returned my call, I received a call from the person in charge of my claim and they are still sticking to the low ball game. I did get a copy of their CCC report and the only option they listed for my car was a CD changer. The 2 cars they listed as comparable cars were a joke and not realistic. 1 was listed as a 5 speed auto car and the other was a 5 speed manual car, which there is no factory 5 speed manual E55's.

I ended up calling my insurance company to escalate this higher and filed a complaint with them and to have a new manager contact me Monday.

I am now meeting a licensed car appraiser coming out to do a real value of my vehicle and not some algorithm computer program value. According to the California Department of Insurance Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations Section 2695.8 #4 The insurer shall take reasonable steps to verify that the determination of the cost of a comparable vehicle is accurate and representative of the market value of a comparable automobile in the local market area. The cost of of a comparable automobile shall be determined as follows and, once determined , shall be fully itemized and explained in writing to the claimant at the time the settlement offer is made.

It goes on about if there are no vehicles in my year and mileage. The 2 main factors in reproducing my car are 189U: Green Black Metallic paint or Black Opal in USA. The second is 252A: Black Leather with Blue Leather inserts. Depending on what transpires on Monday with the insurance company I will file a claim with the CDI if they still want to represent me and my vehicle unfairly. The appraiser said we can go to arbitration with a retired judge to get it settled fairly.

I am at the whatever it takes point now. I bought my E55 because it wasn't your run of the mill black or silver color car, it had all of it's documentation dating back to new from Mercedes dealership. We will see where we go from here.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Maybe you should switch to State Farm after. Each time I was in an accident they gave me more than what I thought the car was worth. I crashed my C55 like a year ago and they gave me like 16k for it. I even looked at the cars on that report they used to determine it's worth and I saw one for 12k. I think they don't want to pay close to 100% due to it being water damaged because they are like a can of worms after repair. We had some water damaged cars at my job and the insurance company said the water got in the dash so it's an auto-total and they didn't care about the cars worth. I also know they make money on the car selling it to the auctions so they will lose a lot less if they stay under a certain range of a total. Being a high end car I am sure they will make decent money on the auction. Good luck I know the feeling it sucks having your baby smashed. Something better eventually will come along if they total it try asking on the forums here for someone willing to sell their car. That's how I got my new one here and I got one that was taken care of very well.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Everyone loves their cheap *** insurance until such time they actually need a claim filed. I don't think the companies have adjusted their prices to match the massive increase in repair costs of the last decade.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 PM
J J

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AAA insurance for my cars, never had any issues. They just spent $14.5k to fix a dented quarter panel and replace a rim on my 2006 cls with 90k miles.

Another time I was 100% at fault and yet they waived my $2k deductible!

Last edited by J J; 01-31-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:00 AM

E55 AMG
Update #3

I had a appraisal company and appraise the cars value before the damage, and a week later I received it in the mail. The company valued my car at 22,750.00. I sent a copy to the insurance company and they invoked their right to have their own appraisal done. That company came out and did the same thing my company did and a week later the insurance company called and said theirs came back at 15,610.00. The next day I get a call from them stating to be fair they added both estimates together and divided by 2 and made the value of my car 19,180.00. I was ok with that and my car is now being fixed and not totaled. It was a long process and I held my ground till the end and came out where I wanted to be. I will post some new pictures after it all finished.

I did take it out for the first time today to get the 85033 rear wheels and 285/35/18 tires installed. It looks a lot better with the wider shoes on the rear!
The following 2 users liked this post by C32Mark:
Dublinoh (02-20-2017), nanayaw6 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
I'm glad to hear you got your issues with the insurance company resolved in your favor. Fighting my own battle with my insurance company for one of our cars. What company did you use for your appraisal?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various AMG Models
Actually, USAA pulled this exact thing on my father in law's car in Delaware.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Originally Posted by ljm301
Actually, USAA pulled this exact thing on my father in law's car in Delaware.
Didn't USAA provide the documentation that shows the estimate calculations? They did that with me on my Audi S6. You can easily contest any line item that you don't agree with.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM

E55 AMG
UPDATE

I finally have the car all fixed and in my garage. The whole car was re-painted and lots of new parts. It will now sit in my garage for the next 90 days to let the paint out gas on its own. It looks amazing and when its color sanded and buffed out it will look better yet. Here's a few pictures of it without emblems or badges.
Attached Thumbnails My insurance company is crazy!-e55-005.jpg   My insurance company is crazy!-e55-007.jpg   My insurance company is crazy!-e55-006.jpg  
Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Nice! What color is that?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by tlambert
Nice! What color is that?
Black Opal. One of my favorites. Just had mine recently paint corrected and coated.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:28 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rocman8
Black Opal. One of my favorites. Just had mine recently paint corrected and coated.

+1