Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Warming up to another E55...few questions

Hello Folks,

Sold my last W211 E55 about 5 years ago after having owned it for 2/3 years. Car ran flawless and had all the desirable options like, Nav, adaptive headlights, vented/heated/massaged and multi contour seats, power shades etc.

At the time I was very apprehensive about the maintenance especially the air suspension going bad and hence ended up selling it.

I have driven an W211...E63 but did not like the way it handled.

I am once again considering the W211 E55, am I crazy in thinking about it especially considering it will not have any warranty?

Are there any proven weak spots in that particular model year that I need to factor in as a cost of ownership?

These are fantastic cars and would love to own one again.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
04-06 are safest. Most will say 05-06 only. If your living paycheck to paycheck don't buy one. If you have a beater car(s) to lean on then you should be fine. Find a car with good maintenance records. If your worried like you sound. Then before you buy find a good shop that has experience with AMG's within an hour from you to ease your mind. A good tuner shop most of the time will be much less than any dealer and will actually have time,to maintenance your car. Because that's all they do. Good luck
Old 02-04-2017, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
My problem is I don't have any indy mechanic near me besides the dealer which doesn't really help me.

The more the options, the more things can go wrong. Are there any known failures with the multi contour/adaptive seats, adaptive headlights etc.

I know the suspension can be fixed by Arnott's air suspension, so that worry is gone, am I right?

I am not too worried about the maintenance cost but would like to know, now that the car is almost 10 years old, what are some of the proven weakest links in this particular model year?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2017, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
The main problems are airmatic then Sbc braking then fuel tank recall. All can cost 1500 or so. The fuel tank issue is free if u can smell gas and u live in the USA.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Hello Folks,

Sold my last W211 E55 about 5 years ago after having owned it for 2/3 years. Car ran flawless and had all the desirable options like, Nav, adaptive headlights, vented/heated/massaged and multi contour seats, power shades etc.

At the time I was very apprehensive about the maintenance especially the air suspension going bad and hence ended up selling it.

I have driven an W211...E63 but did not like the way it handled.

I am once again considering the W211 E55, am I crazy in thinking about it especially considering it will not have any warranty?

Are there any proven weak spots in that particular model year that I need to factor in as a cost of ownership?

These are fantastic cars and would love to own one again.

Thanks
sorry, I was rude with my response.......you've have the car before, and it sounds like you know the issues....SBC....airmatic.......pumps here and there...otherwise the cars are pretty solid. Cheap to mod to make fairly fast. I just got a new one last month, same fears as you...but they are priced so cheap for such a beast of a car, I took the risk. Carchex will do a warranty for you, but it's not cheap...6-8k.......best advice is just really have a potential one checked out really good...go over the VMI....carfax.....then just roll the dice and go with it......one month in, I'm in love :-) tomorrow, the car could be sitting on itself with a suspension failure and I'm going to be beating myself up.........gotta pay to play, right? :-)

Last edited by red60R; 02-06-2017 at 08:10 AM.