Valve Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55
Valve Noise

I have a 1999 E55 with 42K miles. I drive it pretty regularly. The past 2 weeks it had been sitting in the garage. This morning I fired it up and I heard this loud valve clicking noise. I thought it would go away after a couple of seconds but it continued for at least 5-6 minutes. I took it out for a drive and it finally quieted down and the noise was gone. Have any of you guys experienced this. Should I be concerned. By the way the car is well maintained and never abused. Oil changes every 5K miles.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
It's probably what's infamously referred to as "lifter tick". There's a process available (the name of it escapes me) where they will drain the oil out of your motor and hook up a machine that will run solvent through the block and head to break up carbon and sludge build up. On my old 3000GT VR4 lifter tick was pretty notorious because the lifters themselves had very small openings in them to allow oil to pass through and lubricate them. They'd clog very easily and you'd get lifter tick. I had this process done at the Mitsubisihi dealership by me and it did a good job of alleviating the problem.

This is the first case I've heard of on the E55, but it's worth a shot. I wish I could tell you what the process is called but it escapes me. Maybe do a search on the net for it.

-m
Old 04-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55
Originally posted by Marcus Frost
It's probably what's infamously referred to as "lifter tick". There's a process available (the name of it escapes me) where they will drain the oil out of your motor and hook up a machine that will run solvent through the block and head to break up carbon and sludge build up. On my old 3000GT VR4 lifter tick was pretty notorious because the lifters themselves had very small openings in them to allow oil to pass through and lubricate them. They'd clog very easily and you'd get lifter tick. I had this process done at the Mitsubisihi dealership by me and it did a good job of alleviating the problem.

This is the first case I've heard of on the E55, but it's worth a shot. I wish I could tell you what the process is called but it escapes me. Maybe do a search on the net for it.

-m
Thanks for the info Marcus. I will look into it.