Sponsored by:

Possible Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Possible Power Steering Issue

So, I seem to have a whining noise which seems to correlate to when I turn my steering wheel. I have checked the fluid level and it seems ok. It also seems to get louder after it is warmed up.

I need to understand the possible magnitude of the issue. I am planning to make a approx 250 mile trip tomorrow and need advice on if this is something I can address at my leisure or if it is about to explode and I will be left roadside.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I did find a thread discussing the ps reservoir as a filter in it and that might cause this issue. Anyone have this issue with the reservoir? Seemed like I was fine and the noise just started like it changed (like something clogged the filter.

Last edited by Remnar; 02-27-2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Remnar
So, I seem to have a whining noise which seems to correlate to when I turn my steering wheel. I have checked the fluid level and it seems ok. It also seems to get louder after it is warmed up.

I need to understand the possible magnitude of the issue. I am planning to make a approx 250 mile trip tomorrow and need advice on if this is something I can address at my leisure or if it is about to explode and I will be left roadside.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I did find a thread discussing the ps reservoir as a filter in it and that might cause this issue. Anyone have this issue with the reservoir? Seemed like I was fine and the noise just started like it changed (like something clogged the filter.

How many miles do you have and have you completely flushed and refilled with a high grade fluid like Pentosin CHF 11s?

Mine was noisy but a flush (turkey baster style little by little over a few days) with the above fluid resolved my issue... you may have a dying PS pump...
Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Thinking I am driving the V8 Volvo

I have 167k miles, with me putting 17k on it as the "new" owner. Flushing the system seems like a good idea, although a new german made reservoir is $20 at FCP is probably worth doing both.

I think I will let the W211 rest in the garage and drive the XC90 for the trip.

Thanks,

Remnar