W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanting to clean emblems and metal trim on trunk and side of vehicle- is it chrome?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche
wanting to clean emblems and metal trim on trunk and side of vehicle- is it chrome?

hey all, I notice the metal trim on the sides of my w211 amg vehicle is not as clean and shiny as it once was, i also notice the same on all of the trunk emblems.

My question is are these metal badges and trim actual chrome or is it another metal???

I ask this because I have MOTHERS MAG & ALUMINUM Cleaner/Polish which says its for use on all metals but it says NOT for use on chrome....

any thoughts?

thank you.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by benznewcomer
hey all, I notice the metal trim on the sides of my w211 amg vehicle is not as clean and shiny as it once was, i also notice the same on all of the trunk emblems.

My question is are these metal badges and trim actual chrome or is it another metal???

I ask this because I have MOTHERS MAG & ALUMINUM Cleaner/Polish which says its for use on all metals but it says NOT for use on chrome....

any thoughts?

thank you.
I think you are referring to the impact strips with chrome accents. It is actually a metal foil over a plastic strip.

It is really the same material as your chrome door handles on the inside of your car. So yea, I would use a little mothers or something lightly on an unseen area of the inside of one of the rear door handles and make sure it doesnt chemically burn the material before you go crazy on the outside of the car.

I do not know the specific metal though and do not know if mothers is right for it, Honestly I cannot see it being actually a chrome piece due to how it is made :-/

Perhaps others that know more will chime in...
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche
thanks for the reply, how about the emblems? (amg, e55, 3 star point logo) on the trunk lid?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
What kind of condition are they in? I've never found a need to polish those chrome covered bits. I've seen for sale replacement emblems and that might be an option to consider (no idea if they are oem or what, so don't get excited about my ignorance). I'd be a little concerned over the use of any metal polish to be honest.

Once you get them back into the shape you want, be sure to spend more time on them during each car wash. One minute of detailed attention to each of these spots goes a long way towards keeping them beautiful without any polishing. I hit them with the mitt when the car is soaped up, then use a detail brush around the edges/cracks/crevices and that's enough maintenance as long is you're consistent about it.