Airmatic leaning to the left

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Airmatic leaning to the left

Fellas, my car leans to the left, sometimes evens out when it's running... haven't driven the car enough to fully observe its behavior because for the past 3 out of 4 weeks I've had it, it was at my indy getting looked over and fixed up.

I got word from my mechanic that my compressor could not build up pressure for him to level the car with SDS or pressure test it. He said it output 9 when it needs 14 (if I remember the numbers correctly).

I ordered a filter to replace it, hoping that will give it some life... will the car even out if the compressor is straightened out? Or do I still need the SDS magic to get it straightened? Don't have any friends in the are with SDS and I can't quite afford to drop $850 on the system as of now (I gotta pace myself and follow my budget)

I don't want to pay this guy $700 for a compressor I can buy on ebay for $140/arnott for $370 and put it in myself in an hour...

If I hit the raise car button it goes up no issue...

bonus question:
Does driving the car in sport mode put more pressure on the system=shorter life span?
I'd like to keep the airmatic, I was going to get rid of it but damn it the car feels so nice and I've never owned a fancy suspensioned car like this...
Old 05-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
you can rebuild the compressor -- search forum for details -- kit on ebay I believe ,, or replace with coil overs as many are doing
Old 05-11-2017, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by hayseed
you can rebuild the compressor -- search forum for details -- kit on ebay I believe ,, or replace with coil overs as many are doing
Have you done it? It looks scary...

I have arnott bags in the back, and I think stock units up front so I kinda don't want to give up on the suspension just yet...
Old 05-11-2017, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
It's good that you can raise and lower the car, without any issues. The car will even out once you've replace the bad air compressor with a new one. You've already stated that the compressor isn't making enough air pressure.
And driving the car in sport mode doesn't put any added pressure on the system. It stiffens up the compression and rebound of the strut and shocks. In a typical car you've got steel coil springs in the front and rear, well the air strut and air spring have taken over that role. The front air strut have two parts, the air bag portion and the strut, the suspension setting just softens or stiffens the strut, as does the rear shocks, not the air spring. My car stays in S+ mode 24/7. Now of the other side of things, if your car was extremely lowered, their is a strong possibility of blowing an air strut or air spring, as there is very little air in the system to absorb hard impacts from the road. In a typical car you've got steel coil springs in the front and rear, well the air strut and air spring have taken over that role.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by Yuille36
It's good that you can raise and lower the car, without any issues. The car will even out once you've replace the bad air compressor with a new one. You've already stated that the compressor isn't making enough air pressure.
And driving the car in sport mode doesn't put any added pressure on the system. It stiffens up the compression and rebound of the strut and shocks. In a typical car you've got steel coil springs in the front and rear, well the air strut and air spring have taken over that role. The front air strut have two parts, the air bag portion and the strut, the suspension setting just softens or stiffens the strut, as does the rear shocks, not the air spring. My car stays in S+ mode 24/7. Now of the other side of things, if your car was extremely lowered, their is a strong possibility of blowing an air strut or air spring, as there is very little air in the system to absorb hard impacts from the road. In a typical car you've got steel coil springs in the front and rear, well the air strut and air spring have taken over that role.

Okay awesome that makes me feel a lot better, thank you. I am going to replace the filter in the unit to let it breathe a bit better until I can figure out a better solution.

Any luck with ebay compressors? I know it's always best to just order the arnott one...

And again, there will be no need for SDS to even out the sides? I don't have access to the system, so I'd have to go back to my mechanic (which is a pain because he's only open while I work and his shop is 20 minutes away)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
I was sent this in a PM, anybody that stumbles upon this thread might find it usefult:

Hi,

Ive gone through roughly the same type of diagnosis revolving around a leaning rear susp. From research on lowering, this is what Ive found.

First, in terms of the pump. the air volume and pressure are not building enough in a certain timeframe laid out by SDS. This does not really mean that it won't work, but that it will take longer to fill the spare tank in the trunk and quick adjustments may not be as quick. You can ask the mech to check the pressure of the tank. If that pressure is not reaching proper numbers than a new pump is needed or a check needs to be done to see why that pressure is not being built...which is either the pump leaking or a leak between the pump and the first "closed"valve in the system.

Secondly and probabaly more pertinent to the leaning is that our cars only have one sensor in the back for height adjustment. The leaning when on a completely level surface with a non leaking car or strut/airbag will only come from the front calibration being off.

I and many other people here have noticed the lean when parking and it is attributed to the front wheels and therefore sensors being uneven. the car knows the front right is lower so it adjusts the rear left or some combo thereof.

So start on a completely level surface. Raise and lower the car a few times and measure the front wheel arches. They need to be exact EXACT EXACT in order for the rear to straiten out. If not, the calibration of the suspension needs to happen. I found this info while lowering my 211 55 and after calibration, the car sat better than ever before. I also found that the easiest way to do all of this, since I am new to using an SDS, would be to go to an alignment shop at a merc dealer that has and uses the Romess Gauge when doing the alignment. Some will even help you lower it properly with star during the alignment. Otherwise, you need SDS, smartphone Romess and possible alignment.

I like you am on a budget and had just purchased an SDS so spent the money on that vs alignment.

Calibration and alignment is the answer as long as no leaks were found in the system. Honestly since it is sometimes level, it is either OK already or there is a leak.

Clearly the pump needs replace or rebuild but that isn't "holding" pressures in the shock. The shock is on a different part of the air circuit.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Fellas, my car leans to the left, sometimes evens out when it's running... haven't driven the car enough to fully observe its behavior because for the past 3 out of 4 weeks I've had it, it was at my indy getting looked over and fixed up.

I got word from my mechanic that my compressor could not build up pressure for him to level the car with SDS or pressure test it. He said it output 9 when it needs 14 (if I remember the numbers correctly).

I ordered a filter to replace it, hoping that will give it some life... will the car even out if the compressor is straightened out? Or do I still need the SDS magic to get it straightened? Don't have any friends in the are with SDS and I can't quite afford to drop $850 on the system as of now (I gotta pace myself and follow my budget)

I don't want to pay this guy $700 for a compressor I can buy on ebay for $140/arnott for $370 and put it in myself in an hour...

If I hit the raise car button it goes up no issue...

bonus question:
Does driving the car in sport mode put more pressure on the system=shorter life span?
I'd like to keep the airmatic, I was going to get rid of it but damn it the car feels so nice and I've never owned a fancy suspensioned car like this...
I had this issue as well, it ended up being a leaking airbag on the rear left

You need to isolate if you have a leak or a pump issue. Just bc you are not building enough pressure (14bar over 90 seconds I think in SDS) doesnt necessarily mean the pump is bad

If you have a leak, you will end up killing the pump bc it will be running all the damn time... ask me how I know

Take a tape measure and measure all corners and isolate if one bag is leaking when you notice it is leaning.

FWIW You can simply unplug the filter from the pump and isolate if that is the issue

I have a feeling it is a leaking air bag, but I am biased due to personal exp
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
I had this issue as well, it ended up being a leaking airbag on the rear left

You need to isolate if you have a leak or a pump issue. Just bc you are not building enough pressure (14bar over 90 seconds I think in SDS) doesnt necessarily mean the pump is bad

If you have a leak, you will end up killing the pump bc it will be running all the damn time... ask me how I know

Take a tape measure and measure all corners and isolate if one bag is leaking when you notice it is leaning.

FWIW You can simply unplug the filter from the pump and isolate if that is the issue

I have a feeling it is a leaking air bag, but I am biased due to personal exp
Dude I think you're right. I have arnott bags in the rear...

I parked the car after lunch and it's looking a bit lower than usual on the rear left, I'm almost afraid to drive it home now

I'll post a pic...
Old 05-12-2017, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Airmatic leaning to the left-enxw6tm.jpg

Airmatic leaning to the left-f3gymz2.jpg

Airmatic leaning to the left-nmkkhkn.jpg
Old 05-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Dude I think you're right. I have arnott bags in the rear...

I parked the car after lunch and it's looking a bit lower than usual on the rear left, I'm almost afraid to drive it home now

I'll post a pic...
It will tell you if its too low.. you may get an up arrow that designates an error.

Only fear the red instrument cluster warning "stop car too low"

Contact Arnott and explain its one left bag and they may charge you for one to ship it to you, then you just return it for a complete refund idk what they will do

They should be good for life time replacement though
Old 05-12-2017, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
It will tell you if its too low.. you may get an up arrow that designates an error.

Only fear the red instrument cluster warning "stop car too low"

Contact Arnott and explain its one left bag and they may charge you for one to ship it to you, then you just return it for a complete refund idk what they will do

They should be good for life time replacement though
I'm definitely not the original customer though... I bought the car like this and noticed the red annodized bottom of the assembly and realized it's arnott. My mechanic confirmed it.

I'll shoot em an email.

When I got the car I would get that error and then it disappeared. It doesn't pop up anymore.

I'll change out the filter on the compressor when I get home at like 5:30 today and hope that gives it some more freedom, tomorrow I'll start my journey to my indy and then to the dealer to start sorting this out...

I feel like this will be a never ending battle with the suspensions and I seriously might just order arnott conversion and get it done somewhere...