W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will IAT's be affected with EC mid length headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
How will IAT's be affected with EC mid length headers?

Current mods: 180mm cp, EC tune, green filters, 010, purple ice and MB fluid in the coolant tank. Split cooling kit should be coming in bought it from a board member, no bigger intercooler yet
No cats, no res, and I'm getting the mids installed next week with an x pipe.

Currently, if I really gun the car in the heat I can get up to 110mph on the highway but IAT will hop up to 180ish deg. No good. What can I realistically expect out of the headers?

I'm thinking about replacing my 180 (ASP? Or ACP? Not sure what brand this thing even is) with something newer and smaller, the idea is to get the pulley squared away so I know it's new and won't break on me, and to install a BWK without stressing the old one too much. Also, I'm not too interested in all this power, I would assume a 170 would be enough for my needs. The car is stupid fast as it is.

Thoughts, comments concerns?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Current mods: 180mm cp, EC tune, green filters, 010, purple ice and MB fluid in the coolant tank. Split cooling kit should be coming in bought it from a board member, no bigger intercooler yet

Currently, if I really gun the car in the heat I can get up to 110mph on the highway but IAT will hop up to 180ish deg. No good. What can I realistically expect out of the headers?

I'm thinking about replacing my 180 (ASP? Or ACP? Not sure what brand this thing even is) with something newer and smaller, the idea is to get the pulley squared away so I know it's new and won't break on me, and to install a BWK without stressing the old one too much. Also, I'm not too interested in all this power, I would assume a 170 would be enough for my needs. The car is stupid fast as it is.

Thoughts, comments concerns?
Headers will drop it roughly 10* as less heat is backing up into the block transmitting to the IC.

METH will quench that beasts thirst. I would personally get a Snow Kit add a devils own 90* nozzle holder with a DO10 nozzle then get that installed on the flat pad just past the Intercooler.

Your install and kit will cost less than $1k to get done total... thats taking into account about $500 for the install

You are going to spend about that on a used pulley once installed or you will be about $1350-$1500 for a new one...

Headers will not cool you down enough to justify the cost either $650 + another $5-700 to install

Keep your power level, use the windshield reservoir as meth tank and just mix distilled water and Heet (mostly meth) from Walmart. It costs about $3.xx for both. Keep a spare gallon/1 bottle in the trunk in case you need to fill up.
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...0mm-700-a.html

my pulley looks a lot like this ASP pulley, it has what looks to me like a crack, or a ridge, I can't tell just by looking at it if the pulley is okay nor do I know how old it is. It seems like a very expensive part imho so I guess there's no sense in getting rid of it.

So because of that I don't know if I should replace it at all.

I was looking for a more passive solution for cooling, so that I get the benefit even when I'm not driving the car very hard, the key goal here being to extend the life of the engine by keeping it a bit cooler.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Then put a larger heat exchanger in
Old 06-01-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55/GL550
Originally Posted by HeissRod
I think this would be the first step. I've got a PLM on the way (and have the same Tampa, FL heat to deal with). Will see if I need to take another step or two once it's in.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Yeah that's the plan. What's the best one out there? Shardul recommended PLM as well

Biggest pet peeve is that I have to get the bumper off to install it and I'm not very good at unsnapping fasteners....
Old 06-01-2017, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
btw any visual indicators of the shape my pulley is in? Are you supposed to replace the crank pulley as part of preventative maintenance?? I've seen a few instances where people's pulleys snap, not sure if that's custom to the stock one...
Old 06-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Whoops, thought you had an upgraded Heat exchanger...

I would still do Meth, you will see more of a difference in that single mod then with it than any other cooling mod

If you plan on going killer chiller down the road then the heat exchanger will be a moot point as it comes out

Things to chew on I guess
Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Yeah that's the plan. What's the best one out there? Shardul recommended PLM as well
PLM is the only one that has mounting points for the factory fluid cooler underneath the HE. If I could go back, that is the one I would go with instead of my Fabtech.
MACEDON (06-02-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 04:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 amg

If possible, stay away from split cooling kit. Waste of time and money. Never worked for me. No changes seen in my ET/trap speed. Save your money and go for the trunk tank. Gained ~3mph trap speed, and was consistent too.
HeissRod (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Trunk tank or engine bay tank with killer chiller. With meth you will need to play with nozzle size and meth mixture as every car is diff. These giant nozzles and too much meth equals rich afr and slower cars
Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by T9ja
If possible, stay away from split cooling kit. Waste of time and money. Never worked for me. No changes seen in my ET/trap speed. Save your money and go for the trunk tank. Gained ~3mph trap speed, and was consistent too.
I wish I had read up more on it before I ordered the bmw black under hood tank kit, though I only paid $30 for the whole thing shipped it's a nice waste of money lol. Not gonna install it.

Originally Posted by Hulk
Trunk tank or engine bay tank with killer chiller. With meth you will need to play with nozzle size and meth mixture as every car is diff. These giant nozzles and too much meth equals rich afr and slower cars
Killer chiller might be a better solution because it's again a passive solution, no need to worry about refilling anything or getting mixtures right. I'm all about passive.

I wonder if the superflo is a worthy upgrade over the 010, if I do this progression: superflo and hxc, then trunk tank, then KC I think I might find exactly what fits my load by eliminating them through method of increasing cost and difficulty of installation.

I amn't planning on drag racing heck even doing b2b pulls on the street all that much really

Last edited by MACEDON; 06-05-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by T9ja
Yea not sure it will make a difference in a pull on a 1/4 mile run, however in my testing I found the recovery time to be quicker, so in essence its well worth the little cost of the install, I didn't pay USD150 though for the kit, that's just nuts. What I would like now and checking into is replacing the little bmw reservoir tank with something more substantial to increase the amount of coolant and see the difference that makes.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by C32owner
Yea not sure it will make a difference in a pull on a 1/4 mile run, however in my testing I found the recovery time to be quicker, so in essence its well worth the little cost of the install, I didn't pay USD150 though for the kit, that's just nuts. What I would like now and checking into is replacing the little bmw reservoir tank with something more substantial to increase the amount of coolant and see the difference that makes.
I was reading someone had a cobra tank, I assume from an actual shelby cobra that he liked better, google around