W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio 10 CD Radio or aftermarket Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 AMG E55
Question Audio 10 CD Radio or aftermarket Head Unit?

My E55 has the BOSE system, but no CD changer.

Since my desire is to have AM/FM CD indash head unit would you (your opinon counts here) update existing system with the Audio 10 and maybe add an amp and subwoofer, or toss it all and start from scratch?

How much improvement in sound fidelity will the Audio 10 head unit provide? (besides the benefit of CD playback)

If it's no better than the stock AM/FM Cassette, and I'm only gaining CD functionality I'd probably look to the aftermarket.

Will the Audio 10 unit work with aftermarket amps and speakers if I want to expand the system later on?

Does anyone have experience with using a steering wheel interface with aftermarket Head Units? What functions were you able/not able to control? (I realize this is on a case by case basis depending on your head unit, please post your specs)

Last edited by 00E55; 04-18-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300

I installed an AUDIO 10 in my car. It works with your current hardware so you don't have to be concerned about compatability problems with your BOSE amp or steering wheel controls like you would with an after market system. I have not heard of the steering wheel controls working with any aftermarket system. I feel that the sound quality is better on the AUDIO 10 over the stock stereo with one exception. The FM frequencies are spaced for European system so I have noticed that radio stations will cut in and out or briefly skip to another station when I go under an overpass or have a week signal. I mainly use it for CDs because of this.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 C43 AMG
I got mine from MBNZNL, and love it. Much better sound than
the stock Bose unit.