Sponsored by:

new to me, 2005 E55!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1999 Lexus LS 400
new to me, 2005 E55!!

hello forum, obligatory "i've lurked around for awhile" so lets get that out of the way... anyhow i recently picked up a 2005 E55 and holy crap what an awesome car, but i already knew that lol

my particular car has (had) only 91,400 miles, and was genuinely owned by one person in florida for the first 10 years of its life, before the person i bought it from had it shipped up here about a year ago. i asked him why he was selling it, he cited excessive fuel consumption for the type of commute he had and that he was getting pulled over too often lol... seems like it's working then! i had a mechanic around here who specializes in these cars that i've used before thoroughly look over the car and apart from minor service and maintenance related items everything checked out. seller was asking $13,333 and i was able to use a bit of these service items as some leverage to get the price at $11,333. a 500hp supercharged V8 mercedes for half the price of a corolla? no brainer to me... and honestly assuming you can do the labor yourself (which i can) these aren't THAT expensive to run, certainly less than a comparable S-Class or CL

the only things wrong with it were the totally shot back tires, intercooler pump is still in need of replacing (i have the pump just need to put it in) and the dual idler pulley was making that clackity clackity noise. with the help of this forum i replaced the idler pulley bearing so that was pretty inexpensive and easy

i took the car up to massachusetts not too long ago and it started making this weird creaking noise (almost like an old mattress) from the back right wheel area, turns out it's most likely because of the rear subframe bolt that snapped off, most likely during my time with it lol so that's currently getting attention from my mechanic

otherwise the car has been pretty solid. and what a GOD DAMN engine this thing has... holy crap even the new E63 doesn't have **** on the V8 Kompressor. sure it's faster and uses less fuel but the absolute violence of this engine is really just unmatched. short of a tesla, i don't think there's anything with as much immediate neck snapping torque as this car. can't wait to tune it!! i know people complain that the handling isn't as good as an M5 or that the transmission shifts too slow... i say GOOD! both of these things contribute to how comfortable the car is. i'm glad it's not super stiff with a manual trans, i love the idea of a car that just drives like a normal car but is RIDICULOUSLY fast, and the E55 delivers perfectly there

i should point out that isn't my house lol, but here's a quick acceleration clip:

The following users liked this post:
GM_Lover (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
Congrats! Wish I could find a car like this. This is pretty much what I've been looking for: 05 or 06, not-black (grey, silver, white, etc), ~100k miles, 1 or 2 owners, and at worst some minor items that need to be fixed. Heck, if I could find one like this with blown airmatics, I'd still scoop it up for $13k.

The black pano roof on that silver looks so sharp. Very, very jealous.

One question/observation though. The front bumper fit looks a bit off. Uneven gaps around the headlights, grille, and hood. Was the car in an accident?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:47 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Very nice car. I feel lucky to have found mine too. Just go through all the usual maintenance and your set.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1999 Lexus LS 400
Originally Posted by GM_Lover
Congrats! Wish I could find a car like this. This is pretty much what I've been looking for: 05 or 06, not-black (grey, silver, white, etc), ~100k miles, 1 or 2 owners, and at worst some minor items that need to be fixed. Heck, if I could find one like this with blown airmatics, I'd still scoop it up for $13k.

The black pano roof on that silver looks so sharp. Very, very jealous.

One question/observation though. The front bumper fit looks a bit off. Uneven gaps around the headlights, grille, and hood. Was the car in an accident?
thanks, and yes it was in a minor accident in the front, and i did notice it seems slightly off by the left headlights but nothing crazy and not something i'd refuse to get the car over since everything else seemed fine
Old 07-16-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Grats! Great car at a great price!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by stroock6394
thanks, and yes it was in a minor accident in the front, and i did notice it seems slightly off by the left headlights but nothing crazy and not something i'd refuse to get the car over since everything else seemed fine
Yeah definitely. What you paid was a screaming deal. I saw a very similar 05 E55 this weekend on ebay classifieds with about 10k less miles, and the asking price was $15.9k from a small dealership. So with dealer fees it would've probably been closer to $16.5k, if not more. Throughout its life, was involved in 2 serious accidents with airbag deployment and at least once it had to be towed (per Carfax and Autocheck). Was seriously considering scooping it up, but by Sat morning it was gone.