Arnott or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
What is it you are trying to achieve with custom valving? I get the impression you have enough knowledge to just about do it yourself. Maybe with a few more tools?
Personally I'd like softer in comfort and firmer in sport 2. Don't really need an in between setting.

You need some relatively expensive equipment to build and test shocks like this.

The nitrogen charging system
deciding and machining on valves
Dyno testing to check its been done correct. Although im sure an experienced person on shocks of this design could do it with their eyes closed.

I still say you havent found the right person hachiroku. But if you do find someone I think they are likely only going to change the shock overall valving in the main piston (in the shock not the external electronic switching reservior) not the electronic valving system which would raise the stiffness on all shock settings.

I dont know why you would want softer in comfort as soon as you get over 130kph or so in comfort I can feel the car begin to wallow which tells me that valving setting is to soft of course its fine the majority of the time. I really like the comfort setting as it is I think its great. We just need a slightly firmer setting on sport 2 imo.

I just got off the phone with autoline here in nz (raceline a subsidary rebuild bilsteins, tein etc etc for race and road use). The guy at autoline seemed pretty knowledgeable and said its likely not possible BUT said to contact another guy at raceline as he's the expert. I have an old shock I can send to these guys to pull apart and see. The main issue from what he told me is because these shocks are likely a slightly different design their off the shelf valving packages they use likely wont work and it would have to be custom = $$$. I have no doubt the overall valving on this shock can be changed. Finding someone willing to do it not so easy.

Last edited by austingtir; 08-18-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 s430
Benz

I have a 01 S430 that can go down to about 2"from the ground.I have been building my s class for 2 years and I have gotten everthing under the car finally finished and now moving on to the body work.Having said this I have explored many ways of keeping the air ride suspention because it works very good for me,alot of people say it's no good and I think it's because they can't work on it or even understand the simplicity of it.All I did was tape into the power supply of the compressor and run a toggle inside my cab.when I whant to raise the Benz I simply hit my toggle and turn it off at my desired height.If I whant to lower it 2 " off the ground I hit the #2 toggle and a dump opens off the stock compressor and down it goes stopping at desired lowness.I can go on the freeway and not hit one time honest truth.You will however hit sometimes comming into a steep driveway.Each corner has airbag"strut"with a airline feeding them and they have a little o ring that will tear.Unscrew all 4 air fittings and replace with greased o ring.Then goto your compressor by the passenger wheel and check all airline like you did for each air bag including condition of compressor. You can use soapy spray bottle.Then on top of compressor you have your solenoid block with six more airline fittings replace o ring in all six provided the block isn't all corroded and thrashed.Then go to your storage bottle on the driver side tire and replace o ring.Just by doing these simple things you have pretty much rebuilt the air ride suspention.A leak is usually at airbag air inlet o ring,compressor fittings o rings,valve block on top of comppreser 6 o rings and you inlet fitting for storage tank.I love mine my s class Benze hangs corners like a damn porch.It rides on 245/45/17's.My air ride never breaks for people saying it's no good.Let me know if you have any questions as I have almost turned every nut and bolt on my Benz.Probably 1 year left until it's finished.