W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Durable high flow cats (200 cell)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 09:37 PM

SL63, GTR
Durable high flow cats (200 cell)

I'm looking for a set of 200 cell high flow cats to replace the primaries during a header install. There are a ton of companies offering universal high flow cats but not much information out there regarding their longevity. From what I gather, the metal core cats are more durable than the ceramic center cats and are better for forced induction motors, please correct me if if I'm wrong.

I called Magnaflow about their 200 cell metal core cats and this is literally what they told me. "These cats are guaranteed to fail at some point int time during their life. I've seen some fail in a little as 2 weeks and some that last 2 years. I would personally not put them on my car."

I've seen members mention the cheap Thunderbolt cats and a few mentions of Random Tech cats. I really don't want to be replacing these once a year but at the same time don't want to spend $500 per cat.

Is there a company that offers a happy medium here with a durable 200 cell cat that's priced well?
Old 08-23-2017 | 09:53 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
HJS cats are what most people use. from research online they seem to last which warrants the price premium.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-24-2017 | 12:31 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by B Feelgood
I'm looking for a set of 200 cell high flow cats to replace the primaries during a header install. There are a ton of companies offering universal high flow cats but not much information out there regarding their longevity. From what I gather, the metal core cats are more durable than the ceramic center cats and are better for forced induction motors, please correct me if if I'm wrong.

I called Magnaflow about their 200 cell metal core cats and this is literally what they told me. "These cats are guaranteed to fail at some point int time during their life. I've seen some fail in a little as 2 weeks and some that last 2 years. I would personally not put them on my car."

I've seen members mention the cheap Thunderbolt cats and a few mentions of Random Tech cats. I really don't want to be replacing these once a year but at the same time don't want to spend $500 per cat.

Is there a company that offers a happy medium here with a durable 200 cell cat that's priced well?
Cats on these cars don't last long more so when your making good power ..Magnaflow are low quality .If you want a set to put on and forgot get the kooks
Old 08-24-2017 | 03:08 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
My Audi A4 1.8t has a 034 Motorsports High Flow Cat. It looks to me like its a Magnaflow unit by comparing the internals to Magnaflow. I'll probably be installing the same cat's to my E63 as they seem to work well in my Audi and are fairly cheap.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com