Sponsored by:

CLS500 back end all over the place and car sitting very low

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
CLS500 back end all over the place and car sitting very low

Apologies for the X-Post from the CLS forum, but need some help please, as the cars are so similar.

I had my subframe bushed replaced recently and after that the car was just never the same.

The rear end is absolutely all over the place and is very "nervous" and "skittish" for want of better words.
Also, the rear ride is now extremely harsh and has this awful sideways kick when going over even moderate bumps. On wet and slippery roads, it is impossible to keep the car straight.

Have changed the tires twice. There are no leaks or anything, but the rear DOES sit extremely low when the car is off. Comes back to normal ride height when started, but almost instantly resumes road hugger position after the doors are locked.
I did have a bit of an issue where I had to replace the rear ride height sensor as the plastic ball and socket broke off and the car just slammed itself.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
If no clunking from the rear I am *assuming* the rear was reassembled correctly so my first thoughts are:

-rear toe is incorrect. When my car starts wagging its tail under full throttle, first thing I check is toe. I got 30,000 miles out of my last set of tires; would have been 35,000 miles but I was ignoring the tail wag for the past two months. Found the passenger side rear was 1mm toe out and the inside of the tire was toast; seems I failed to properly secure the toe arm lock nuts last time I set toe and the adjuster proceeded to slowly work loose.

-be aware that the inboard and outboard rear suspension bushings may be bad. If the car aligns to proper toe in a static environment (on the rack) but both inside and outside of the tires' tread show feathering and/or chunking, that's a reasonable indicator the bushings or multi-link is worn and the wheels/tires are shifting back and forth under acceleration and braking.

-Calibrate the suspension using Xentry. Search for W211 suspension calibration; you'll find it on page 41 of the STAR/DAS/Xentry sticky. If the sensor was replaced, you have to calibrate. Not difficult; just use a cell phone app inclinometer, an absolutely level surface (water level and floor tiles under your tires), raise/lower with Xentry, match recommended angles to the sensor readout (i.e. 2.2 volts to 3.0 volts IIRC), enter measured angle values, press Save, if good to go your car is happy. (yes, a bit of anthropomorphism there)

Last edited by bbirdwell; 09-18-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 AM

CLS500 M113
Thank you so much for the reply!
I will get that checked out asap.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:07 AM

CLS500 M113
Hi bbirdwell,
Did all that you suggested.

The front and rear levels were off, for sure.
Got the alignment done again, toe WAS way out of alignment.
Checked the level sensors, bushings, sway bars, ball joints, etc.
But, the problem still persists.

As a last resort just changed all 4 tires at HUGE cost (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)...still no difference.

I am completely option-less now.
Even the dealer is scratching his head.