Supercharger how does it engage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc S55 AMG Kompressor 2003 & S320 1999
Making a fix pulley

Originally Posted by Flydutch
Look at the below video and it explains.
A static Electromagnetic ring (locked onto the SC body) magnetizes the Steel ring clutch which runs around it after the ECU has energized that magnet ring. Then that Electromagnetic ring pulls the pulley against it. that magnetized clutch ring. The pulley is driven by a belt going around the Water pump and the Crank Shaft. The ECU energizes the Electromagnetic ring after the engine reaches between 2000 and 3000 RMP so the boosting starts. at lower RMP the engine is virtually idling so it does not need boosting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kPn9gb4s8&t=202s
Maybe you all are going to accuse me of blasphemy but hear me out. My electro magnet (Ring) somehow burned out. I have been looking for weeks now to find that part but no Luck (Directions highly appreciated). I now think of a fixed pulley reading all this and then a tune but when I thought of it some more why do I not simply stich weld the the belt pulley in , say, 3 or 4 places to the clutch ring that fits over the magnetic ring. it then all becomes a fixed situation and a tune to compensate for lean running below 3000 RMP. If I do this professionally I can then grind-off the welding if I find the spares eventually and reassemble as per design. I realise that the welding must be light and in even location as to avoid introducing an imbalance and subsequent load on the bearing(s) The torque cannot be that much as the bent and it tensioner has also limited torque absorption capacity before it starts slipping.