fuse location for puddle light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
fuse location for puddle light?

I installed new cf mirrors will post pics soon. but the factor mirror cover did not have puddle lights but the wire harness is there for install. so the new CF mirrors have puddle light and i hooked up the wire to OE wire harness but no power to turn on. Is there a fuse just for the puddle light? the turn signal work perfect. I tested the new puddle lights on new mirror covers they work. check power coming from OE wire harness when door is open no power. any help please?
Old 10-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
I installed a few months ago the power folding facelift mirrors and aftermarket arrow type mirror covers that have the LED mirror puddle/ambient lights. I was able to get the power mirrors to work after programming in 3 locations with the SDS (and the correct door switch) but could never figure out how to get the puddles lights to work. They worked on my oem mirrors so I know I have the correct door control modules.

I’m not sure where the fuse is for them but I’ve read it is in the front SAM in the engine bay or the fuse panel on the side of the driver’s dash. Do you have a SDS/STAR to check for faults? My SDS is indicating that I have open circuits for both R and L ambient (ambient) lights. I tried to manually actuate the lights with the SDS for both modules but they didn’t turn on.I’ve checked the LED lights directly and they work with 10v-12v.

I’ve checked for shorts in the wire back to the door module (Pins 1 and 6 on black mirror plug) and polarity of the wires and those tested good. I’ve made sure that surround lighting feature is turned on in the dash settings and the interior lights come on with door open (overhead switch).

Next I might try wiring directly to the oem bulbs in the old mirror and bypass the LEDs so I can see if the module is having issues with LED vs stock filament bulbs. I really don’t want to have to pull the door panels and hard wire the puddle lights to the light under the door if I don’t have to but that’s the last option.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still didn't check those fuses, but if it turn out not to have a fuse because the e55 is wired diff then non E55. maybe I will run wire from mirror puddle light down to the puddle light on the door itself. That should do the trick.
thanks for the reply
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mbmg
I installed a few months ago the power folding facelift mirrors and aftermarket arrow type mirror covers that have the LED mirror puddle/ambient lights. I was able to get the power mirrors to work after programming in 3 locations with the SDS (and the correct door switch) but could never figure out how to get the puddles lights to work. They worked on my oem mirrors so I know I have the correct door control modules.

I’m not sure where the fuse is for them but I’ve read it is in the front SAM in the engine bay or the fuse panel on the side of the driver’s dash. Do you have a SDS/STAR to check for faults? My SDS is indicating that I have open circuits for both R and L ambient (ambient) lights. I tried to manually actuate the lights with the SDS for both modules but they didn’t turn on.I’ve checked the LED lights directly and they work with 10v-12v.

I’ve checked for shorts in the wire back to the door module (Pins 1 and 6 on black mirror plug) and polarity of the wires and those tested good. I’ve made sure that surround lighting feature is turned on in the dash settings and the interior lights come on with door open (overhead switch).

Next I might try wiring directly to the oem bulbs in the old mirror and bypass the LEDs so I can see if the module is having issues with LED vs stock filament bulbs. I really don’t want to have to pull the door panels and hard wire the puddle lights to the light under the door if I don’t have to but that’s the last option.
Nice work on mirrors