W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA: Check your crossover tubes on your front calipers for corrosion!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
E55 w211
PSA: Check your crossover tubes on your front calipers for corrosion!

Hi guys,

Long story short I was on my way to work today and I had to hit the brakes hard. The car pulled hard right which I thought was strange. About a mile later (on the interstate) I hit the brakes, pedal goes to the floor. Every brake light that could possibly be displayed was displayed. It wasn't a huge deal as I had a little bit of brake left and always try to leave a good distance between me and the guy in front. I got out of my car at work (yes I kept driving, I was almost there) and found my DS front wheel totally covered in brake fluid.

When the car got home, I pulled the wheel to find no apparent leaks! WTF. I thought I lost a seal.

Upon closer inspection I saw a bump in the rubber cover over the crossover tube on the brembo caliper. I also had fluid in that area. I removed the line and cut the rubber isolator off to find a spot where the coating had chafed through and rusted. I found a split in the line.

I'm sure this is an unusual situation but I'd be remiss if I didn't say anything and something happened to someone else. I got lucky. I feel that if you're in the "rust belt" and your car has seen winters you'd be wise to cut that rubber cover off and inspect carefully.
The following 3 users liked this post by E55wannabe:
bbirdwell (10-17-2017), E55amg0220 (10-17-2017), GM_Lover (10-16-2017)