Sponsored by:

Gutted muffler fail...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
Gutted muffler fail...

I had my rear cans opened up and had all the packing and pipes cut out.. after starting the car while waiting a day for my exhaust guy to finish up the mufflers i fell in love with the way no mufflers sounded.. when i got my mufflers back i quickly got under the car and bolted them up! I fired up the car only to hear that is sounded like stock, and nothing had even been done to them! I was so upset cause i paid 160$ to get them opended and modified for litteraly no sound difference at all. Thinking i got ripped off, i opened them up myself just to see exactly what i wanted was done! Do people really gut these things for sound that a resonator delete could accomplish. Im very upset right now, anyone know what steps i could take next to make sure i get increased volume? Im thinking cut the first chamber out? Or just have a pipe welded in from the inside to the 2 pipes?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55
i have no idea how to help as ive never done this but i have a pair of stock 55 mufflers with great tips. i installed c63's. if you need a used set ill make ya a great deal they are collecting dust in my garage. good luck man

p.s.
i know there is a thread on this. search "gutted" and you will find it. you may have already done that.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 610 Likes on 275 Posts
poop
I gutted mine, worried it might be to loud.
Like you, I was actually surprised it was still pretty quite.
But after a few weeks I am please with the sound. There is a nice subtle drone inside, and when my wife was driving it, I heard it from the outside and it sounded great.

I think the expectation of volume initially caused disappointment, but I would highly recommend it now
The following users liked this post:
ELK469 (09-21-2020)