W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Both Headlights flickering When the car is started

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017 | 11:29 AM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Both Headlights flickering When the car is started

My headlights are doing something really strange. If I turn on the headlights without starting the engine, everything is fine. As soon as i start the engine the lights will randomly flicker, then shut off and on. One thing that i noticed is that I'm now able to switch the headlights on, without the keys being in the ignition. I replaced both front SAM Modules, the voltage regulator. I'm not sure if i should now be chasing a ground issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2017 | 06:11 AM
Veteran: Navy

2005 E55
Sounds like alternator voltage might be fluctuating. You can monitor voltage on dash
  • turn key to position 1, car off
  • Navigate the dash display to the temperature/speed display
  • Press the reset stick 3 times quickly

That should bring up access to the battery voltage and dino options(use normal menu buttons to navigate). Start the car with the batter voltage display up and see what your voltage is doing. Should be pretty steady around 14 when the car is running.
Old 11-05-2017 | 11:25 AM

Thanks man. Funny thing is I cannot access the voltage display on the car. Not sure if the issue is related. I even watched a few YouTube vids to confirm that I was doing it correctly.
Old 11-05-2017 | 10:08 PM

NA
You should get a STAR or try to find someone with one near you. It'd be really helpful in diagnosing your problem. Having said that, since you've replaced both front SAMs, maybe look at the actual headlight switch/module next? Does this happen with the lights in both the Auto and On positions?
Old 11-06-2017 | 10:58 AM

thanks, will doublle check that. also i took the power wire off of the alternator yesterday. and the headlights were perfectly fine when started the car.