Sponsored by:

CLUNK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E63 AMG
CLUNK

My E63 has developed a clunk. The only pattern I can identify is that it seems to be worse when the car is warm. It sounds almost like an under torqued bolt on a suspension/steering/frame component is allowing something to slip back and forth, but it doesn't seem to be just on bumps or turns or any other definable pattern. I put the car up on the lift today, pulled all the wheels off and inspected ball joints, tie rods, sway-bar links, etc and everything looks fine as much as I can tell.

I know it's a crazy long shot, but has anyone experienced this before that can point me in the right direction? It's really annoying.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
Originally Posted by kcobean
My E63 has developed a clunk. The only pattern I can identify is that it seems to be worse when the car is warm. It sounds almost like an under torqued bolt on a suspension/steering/frame component is allowing something to slip back and forth, but it doesn't seem to be just on bumps or turns or any other definable pattern. I put the car up on the lift today, pulled all the wheels off and inspected ball joints, tie rods, sway-bar links, etc and everything looks fine as much as I can tell.

I know it's a crazy long shot, but has anyone experienced this before that can point me in the right direction? It's really annoying.
i need a little more. Is it clunking while driving down the road? From the front end or rear end? Can you feel it in the floorboards?
​​​​​​​
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Souriall91

i need a little more. Is it clunking while driving down the road? From the front end or rear end? Can you feel it in the floorboards?
It is very hard to tell where it is coming from. It’s so bassy that it just kind of echoes in the cabin. Front, rear, left, right I can’t really tell. Sometimes I can feel it in the steering wheel and sometimes I can’t. I know that’s not helpful at all.