Sponsored by:

Paint help / advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
09 E63, 92 VR4, 94 VR4, 85 MR2
Paint help / advice

Recently I had my front bumper and hood painted due to some unsightly rock chips. I wanted to get the chrome trim painted to match the rest of the body but the paint shop said that they cannot paint over chrome. I went to another paint shop and same thing. Suggestions? I want to get the door handles done as well.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy carbon fiber interior trim to get rid of the woodgrain? When I was trying to find an E63 I ran across a few that already had carbon fiber trim and a different steering wheel but they had mechanical issues so I walked away.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
It can be done. But there are so many reasons not to.

The chrome will need to be sanded really well. An epoxy primer will need to be applied after sanding them so the color will have something to adhere to. 2k primer won't adhere as well as an Epoxy primer.

To do that the chrome strips need to be removed from the impact strips to be sanded correctly. Also sanding those small mldgs without bending/breaking them will be tough.

They are a pain in the *** to get out of the impact strips. The clips will break when disassembling them and that means they won't clip back in tight.

This means the bumpers will need to come off the car and disassembled to get the impact strips off the bumpers. And then the body side mldgs will have to come off the car and the chrome strips removed.

Then when reassembling there is always the chance of the mldgs getting scratched or chipped.

It is a crap load of work! If I were disassembling the entire car for a repaint I MIGHT consider doing it.

Now someone I'm sure will do them on the car without disassembling anything. But they will never be able to sand them properly.

Just a thought.....you could probably get someone to wrap them with vinyl.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Just get them wrapped. It will be cheaper and you'll never know the difference.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
09 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Strigoi
Just get them wrapped. It will be cheaper and you'll never know the difference.
I agree, vinyl wrap. Not worth the hassle to paint