squeak when making slow, sharp turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
squeak when making slow, sharp turn

hi all,

need a little bit of a hand. just noticed the suspension(front-right) is making a squeak whenever i make a slow, sharp turn - when i turn the wheel to the left.

stumped.. no idea what it could be. ball joints were replaced, control arms are good, etc.

any ideas? thinking it could be the lower mounting plate of the rack and the pinion needs to be replaced (including screws). then tightened.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by draz.amg; 05-11-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 E55 AMG Wagon
My '06 does that when backing sharply out of my driveway, and I finally figured out why. When turned sharply, the inside and outside edges of the wide tires cover different distances, so they try to rotate at a slightly different rate. Because they are mounted to the same wheel, they really can't do that, so they slip/skid a little on the pavement, making a sound. Sometimes you can feel it via the steering wheel, too. Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
Originally Posted by Frank Barrett
My '06 does that when backing sharply out of my driveway, and I finally figured out why. When turned sharply, the inside and outside edges of the wide tires cover different distances, so they try to rotate at a slightly different rate. Because they are mounted to the same wheel, they really can't do that, so they slip/skid a little on the pavement, making a sound. Sometimes you can feel it via the steering wheel, too. Nothing to worry about.
There’s no slip/skid here. It’s just a squeak almost a grinding sound when making a slow turn.

Don’t think we have the same issue here.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Are you sure it is coming from suspension? I had a squeak at some point and everybody was telling me to replace balljoints. Ended up being broken engine mounts that would squeak in turns as weight transferred.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Might be a wheel bearing. You can jack the car up, grab the wheel and wiggle it side to side and up and down. If there is slop your bearing is probably toast, but if it's just starting to have issues it still may not present itself in the wiggle test but still easy to check real quick, might be able to hear or feel a bearing issue rotating it also.