W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Rearview Mirror Spring & Clip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018 | 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Rearview Mirror Spring & Clip

It's been a long time since I've been on the forums... Anyway, I have a 2006 E55. A couple of days ago the weather was really nice and I decided to open the sunroof (I have the panoramic sunroof). Got home and went to close it and one side was stuck open. Additional attempts to open or close it resulted in the "machine gun" sound. Tried closing it manually to no avail. Finally had the time to research the potential problems and the locking washer did the trick and now the sunroof opens and closes just like new (I still need to lubricate the tracks though). Anyway, I got everything reassembled up to the point of putting the rearview mirror back in place. What a pain in the *** that is! I'm sure there's some tool or something but I found a video of it on YouTube on how to put it back. I guess I hit the wrong spot with my screwdriver and broke the retaining clip (I think that's what it is... Looks something like this -\__/- [but the) and lost the spring. Does anyone know the part numbers for these items? And anyone have any tips on how the he11 to put the rearview mirror back?

Much thanks in advance!

Last edited by 06E55; 05-17-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2018 | 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Not sure on the retaining clips but I just went through the removal and installation of the rear view mirror when replacing the dome lights with LED's. What I did was placed the left side in then pressed up as hard as I could on the right side with some needle nose pliers. It took a second but it popped in. Then I reinstalled the dome lights and other trim pieces. The how to I saw showed the trim pieces installed first then the mirror which seemed impossible to me when I tried.
The following users liked this post:
06E55 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018 | 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Not sure on the retaining clips but I just went through the removal and installation of the rear view mirror when replacing the dome lights with LED's. What I did was placed the left side in then pressed up as hard as I could on the right side with some needle nose pliers. It took a second but it popped in. Then I reinstalled the dome lights and other trim pieces. The how to I saw showed the trim pieces installed first then the mirror which seemed impossible to me when I tried.
Thanks for the tip on putting it back in! Now I just need a new spring and clip. I'm guess the clip goes inside of the spring and goes between the pins on either side of the mirror. I didn't realize it until after the spring popped out that it isn't a hard piece of metal inside. It's metal pins on either side (that go through holes in the metal bracket) and the spring goes between them.....
Old 05-18-2018 | 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The good news is that the retaining clip I have didn't break. I found some pictures of a mirror assembly on eBay and I can see where the clip goes. The bad news is, I still can't seem to find the spring... Searched everywhere in my garage and car for it. I'll search again later today with a flashlight when I have more time and hopefully I can get a reflection off of the light hitting it. If not, I'll just order a cheap mirror off eBay and either use that entire mirror assembly or just take out the spring and use it...
Old 05-18-2018 | 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Went to the Mercedes dealer today and I was told by the parts department you can't by the spring separately. A few trips to several different hardware stores and I was able to purchase a spring that I cut to size and was able to fit into the assembly. It's definitely not as tight as the original spring, but should hold the mirror without any problems. Have tried adjusting mirror several times and feels just as sturdy.