Sponsored by:

UPD 5 pulley kit install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
UPD 5 pulley kit install

hey guys

I am trying to wrap my head around this UPD 5 pulley kit installation. Few questions:

1. Is the accessory tensioner and supercharger tensioner pulleys the same size. After installing i noticed that accessory belt was very loose. then compared it to the original accessory tensioner pulley and noticed UPDs pulley was smaller. 89mm vs 94mm. Am i required to get a new belt or something with this kit?
2. do you get 3 pulley bearing caps (1 for small pulley, 1 for accessory tensioner pulley and 1 for supercharger tensioner pulley) with this kit. the only one not getting a cap is double idler. I only received 2 caps. 1 was installed on a smallest pulley and the other not sure which one needs it more supercharger or accessory tensioner.
3. when installed (NO belt yet) double idler pulley can be easily wobbled by hand. meaning i can close the gap between the two pulley (which are separated by a spacer). it seems like they could almost touch. is it normal and i should just put the belts on
and ignore it OR once installed that should not happen?

all c clips are facing away from the engine. i am using newly supplied spacer for the double idler.

as a side question: double idler came with Nachi bearings made in taiwan vs other 3 in Japan. Also 6203NSE is that a 17K ZZ bearing? my bearings have rubber red covers vs metal ones as in some UPD pics

thank you

Last edited by redc36; 05-17-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 PM

also whats the recommended torque for the pulley bolts? 15lb/ft?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
its been a while since I installed mine, the idler pullies are the same size and they do run close but the washer is enough and they will find their center... I did not need a new belt, and only got 1 cap I think - I will look later and need to do some maintenance anyway. The bearing from Taiwan does not sound like a real Nachi, the pullies are nice and run true but I had to replace a squeaky bearing after a few thousand miles and was sent one free of charge - I did not like the plastic oem but they did last for 12 years
Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 AM

UPD got back to me (big thanks for a quick response from them) and confirmed that Accessory and Supercharger tensioner pulleys are the same sizes. Yes accessory tensioner pulley is smaller than OEM but that shouldnt be the problem they said and recommended I get a new belt since maybe mine is stretched (even though it looks to be in good shape). I will order a new stock belt.
As far as bearing covers go, you only get 2. One for supercharger tensioner pulley and one for accessory belt pulley.
Wobble on the double idler is fine they said because with the belts on AND when running it will be straight due to tension and heat.

anyways lets see what happens.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
‘97 C4S, ‘00 B4000, ‘03 Z06, ‘05 E55
Any play in any pulley is not okay. UPD sells a custom machined sleeve to fit inside the two pulleys that make up the doubler. It’s a part that’s not otherwise available unless you buy the whole assembly from MB. Would they make and sell this if it wasn’t necessary?
Feel free to pm me with any questions I’m happy to go look at mine and answer to the best of my abilities.