Battery Warning, Visit Workshop, Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Question Battery Warning, Visit Workshop, Electrical Issues

Hello MBWorld,

So the other day I was going to the store and to get gas when I got the infamous red warning with the battery symbol with the "VISIT WORKSHOP". I cleared the error and went about my day thinking I would bring the car in the next morning. Well within a mile of driving I got the message stating "BATTERY PROTECTION: CONVENIENCE FUNCTIONS DISABLED". Again, I thought nothing of it and kept driving.

One mile later all comfort features, such as windows and seat adjustments stopped working, my interior lights went out, ESP was disabled, ABS was disabled, my steering became heavy, my brakes began to fade, my instrument cluster went blank, and my car went into limp home mode. I immediately took the car home and went to my local indy shop.

One day later, my indy shop is beginning to charge me a fortune because they cant find the issue and my local Autozone tested the batteries along with the alternator and found no issues with any of them. Im truly lost here and I would do anything to get my car back. Any ideas what could be causing my car to go from perfectly fine to a complete meltdown of all systems?

Its a 2005 E55 AMG with only 60,000 miles.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Probably the BCM. Slow charge the batteries and get a proper scan. Type your problems into the search feature for more insight.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Eric Lewis
Hello MBWorld,

So the other day I was going to the store and to get gas when I got the infamous red warning with the battery symbol with the "VISIT WORKSHOP". I cleared the error and went about my day thinking I would bring the car in the next morning. Well within a mile of driving I got the message stating "BATTERY PROTECTION: CONVENIENCE FUNCTIONS DISABLED". Again, I thought nothing of it and kept driving.

One mile later all comfort features, such as windows and seat adjustments stopped working, my interior lights went out, ESP was disabled, ABS was disabled, my steering became heavy, my brakes began to fade, my instrument cluster went blank, and my car went into limp home mode. I immediately took the car home and went to my local indy shop.

One day later, my indy shop is beginning to charge me a fortune because they cant find the issue and my local Autozone tested the batteries along with the alternator and found no issues with any of them. Im truly lost here and I would do anything to get my car back. Any ideas what could be causing my car to go from perfectly fine to a complete meltdown of all systems?

Sounds like you need a better mechanic.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 686 Likes on 498 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Start by measuring your voltage with the car off and with the car running. Are the batteries being charged?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Eric Lewis
Hello MBWorld,

UPDATE: The mechanic found the issue. Water got in the fuse box due to a car wash. I have to take it to the stealership because it is a Mercedes TSB issue. When I get it fixed by the dealership I’ll update you guys with the cost.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 686 Likes on 498 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
How'd water get in? Were the locks not engaged on the fuse box or was something else wrong?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:24 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
How'd water get in? Were the locks not engaged on the fuse box or was something else wrong?
The passenger side plenum drain was pinched somehow which caused water to get into the passenger side fuse box. Mercedes sent out a TSB on this issue a few years back, I don’t think they still cover it or fix it for free.