Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up E55, driving halfway across country

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti
Beautiful car. CRAZY low miles, too. If you don't mind my asking, what did you end up paying for your Beast??
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 300D
It was around 22k. I thought it was fair for a one-owner, clean Carfax with clean undercarriage and it's condition. Runs great, sucks gas like it should but does gets better mileage than my truck.

The owner was kind of stand-offish which I think helped me since he did turn some other potential buyers off who never came to look at it, according to him. The other low mileage cars I called about (60k range) in the same price range sold within days and I kept missing them.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:28 AM

Infiniti
Originally Posted by cyberkansas
It was around 22k. I thought it was fair for a one-owner, clean Carfax with clean undercarriage and it's condition. Runs great, sucks gas like it should but does gets better mileage than my truck.

The owner was kind of stand-offish which I think helped me since he did turn some other potential buyers off who never came to look at it, according to him. The other low mileage cars I called about (60k range) in the same price range sold within days and I kept missing them.
Yes, very fair price. 2 Similar E55's sold recently on BAT, Bring A Trailer, for $22k. They were both 05's, 1 owner with 23k miles. Your purchase was right on the $$, IMO!!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
Beautiful car! Great score, enjoy it.....

Time to do the trannie fluid (and all the other fluids of course)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Wow great find, I bet it runs smooth and it won't frustrate you to death like my car
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Great find. Makes me almost want a second E55!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
Congrats....I talked to this owner a while back but I thought his price was high at the time. Kinda wish I'd jumped on it recently!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Very nice car, glad to hear it's working well. I still think I hold the record for longest E55 drive home after purchase (; (2400mi from Seattle to Detroit). Definitely replace the CPS as that's the one component that was giving me trouble on the drive home.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 PM

1985 300D
Thought I should provide an update. Got the headlights fixed. That was a shot-in-the-dark. I ordered a headlight control module (mounts under the headlight) and took the front bumper off to try it. I put it on each headlight and, sure enough, that fixed it so I ordered a second and got them both mounted up (pictures below).

Also, the remote key fob didn't work unless you were pointing the thing right at the handle. That turned out to be a shorted-out siren. The batteries corroded and shorted it. It's on the same circuit as the antenna for the remote key and AM radio. I just removed the siren, replaced the fuse and key fob and AM radio worked. Not sure if I'm going to actually replace the siren or not.

Now it's all squared away and running amazing. Couldn't be happier!

front-end off to remove headlights and mount control modules.

Both headlight control modules looked like this.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Thought I should provide an update. Got the headlights fixed. That was a shot-in-the-dark. I ordered a headlight control module (mounts under the headlight) and took the front bumper off to try it. I put it on each headlight and, sure enough, that fixed it so I ordered a second and got them both mounted up (pictures below).

Also, the remote key fob didn't work unless you were pointing the thing right at the handle. That turned out to be a shorted-out siren. The batteries corroded and shorted it. It's on the same circuit as the antenna for the remote key and AM radio. I just removed the siren, replaced the fuse and key fob and AM radio worked. Not sure if I'm going to actually replace the siren or not.

Strange that the control module for the headlamp would look like that. This is the first I've ever heard about this problem. Good thing you're fairly handy!

The sirens do go bad on these cars, it's a known problem. Doesn't surprise me.

Looks like you've got another beauty in the garage.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 PM

1985 300D
Yes. The other car is an '85 300D that runs awesome and is in great shape. It will probably remain my primary car (much better mileage), but man, they couldn't be more different to drive. Both awesome in their own way. I bought the '85 for my "rest of my life" car. It had '91k when I bought it 2 years ago, just over 105k now.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 PM

CLS55 AMG

I'm having the same key fob issue can you pm me the steps you too to remedy that?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:04 PM

1985 300D
As for the key fob not working, in my case, the antenna fuse in the trunk would blow as soon as you would put it in.

The siren is on the same circuit and it had short-circuited due to battery corrosion. I pulled the driver front tire and the rear side of the inner fender and unplugged the siren which is tucked in behind the fender just behind where it says "V8 Kompressor". I was then able to replace the antenna fuse and the key fob worked great.

Before you go through all that, you might make sure your antenna doesn't work by trying to tune in some AM stations. I couldn't pick anything up.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:11 PM

CLS55 AMG
As for the key fob not working, in my case, the antenna fuse in the trunk would blow as soon as you would put it in.

The siren is on the same circuit and it had short-circuited due to battery corrosion. I pulled the driver front tire and the rear side of the inner fender and unplugged the siren which is tucked in behind the fender just behind where it says "V8 Kompressor". I was then able to replace the antenna fuse and the key fob worked great.

Before you go through all that, you might make sure your antenna doesn't work by trying to tune in some AM stations. I couldn't pick anything up.
I'll have to play around with it the one time I used the radio which was rare I only tried FM it was very scratchy tho. I'll try the AM side and go from there. Thank you