W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving hard then shifting to P makes the car drive smoother, why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Driving hard then shifting to P makes the car drive smoother, why?

Like the title says

My car has an issue where sometimes it will vibrate the floor almost like a wheel problem (it is not a wheel problem) between 80 and 140mph.

Sometimes though the problem is not there, and the car accelerates smooth from 0-100mph. It shows up and disappears.

What does make it better though is if I stop, put the car in park, then back in drive, and it runs smoother even at high speeds. If I repeat it again a few times it makes it better.

What is it about putting the car in Park that makes it run smoother afterwards in Drive?

So this makes me think it's my torque converter.

Bonus story: Earlier this year I was driving the car on the highway going 95, it was shaking more than usual. I was angry at it because no matter what I do it's not going away. Got off the highway, about 30 minutes later it started whining and not shifting right, it would hop out of gear and into neutral. I dragged my *** home for 10 minutes and took it to a shop. He found no codes aside from some for the conductor plate. Replaced it and tested the car for 200mi driving it around and he couldn't find the fault.
Me thinks the TQ is failing and the filter and speed sensor got clogged with debris, the change in conductor plate is only a temporary fix.

I guess I just can't figure out what is wrong because the car has never been perfect since I have had it, so I have no point of reference really. Not even the mechanic could figure it out, he chalked it up to the poly moubtsm even though he has a cls55 himself... I know it's not the mounts because sometimes the car does it sometimes it doesn't; but I can't figure out where it's all coming from.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Bump to learn why putting the car in Park at stoplights makes it run smoother after