Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension

Old 07-03-2018, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Front suspension

Posting this to help out another forum member who intends to replace some front suspension components.

The following users liked this post:
hergs7 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Hi Barry

I want to invest some time in my suspension but I don't really know where to start. My car was mostly driven in Florida during it's lifetime, but it began its life in Chicago, so it has a tiny bit of rust.

I would assume after 12 years it needs some suspension part replacement. So far my mechanic has only done my tie rods because he couldn't align with the old ones.

When I asked him what else needs replacing he said "the car drives fine, we live in FL unlike those guys up north that's why you always see them posting about ball joints" etc, that was the jist of it.

But I'd still like to do some of that work myself to get a better riding car.

What can you recommend I buy (preferrably from FCP euro) to start proactively replacing? I know you said ball joints in one of your posts, what else would be good to buy and swap?
Just a list of the names of the components and I can go hunt them down with links.
Disassembling/reassembling the suspension is a PITA so I recommend you do it all at one time. I say this because once it's done, you're not going to want to go back into it for a long time. I paid a shop to replace the control and thrust arms and then, six months later, I had to have them go back in to replace the steering knuckle ball joint. Instead of an extra 30 minutes labor to be added to the first job, I had to pay them another $800 or so because they had to tear it all apart again. That's why I say just do it all and be done with it.

A 211 330 04 35, Supporting Joint (lower ball joint in steering knuckle) hardest one to replace so do it while you're in there. 2 each.
A 211 330 81 07 Spring link, bottom left (aka control arm to which the air spring attaches) black or silver color are both the same, just different colors. 1 each.
A 211 330 82 07 Spring link, bottom right. 1 each.
A 211 330 45 11 Strut rod, left with bearing (aka thrust arm that is most forward in the car) comes with new ball joint pressed in. 1 each.
A 211 330 46 11 Strut rod, right with bearing. 1 each.
A 000 330 10 07 RS Transverse control arm. Upper ball joint. 2 each. This is the version that mounts to the upper control arm using three bolts. '03 models used a one-piece upper control arm so verify yours have the ball joints that are bolted on rather than pressed in.

I'll post a screen shot of the front suspension in the W211 AMG section for you.

Barry

Original PM exchange for anyone curious; I'm ordering the parts now. Thanks Barry!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55
I've got these parts on the way this week. Any tips or tricks for the DIY?
Old 07-31-2018, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
From another member who I PM'd

I'm waiting on parts to arrive too, I'll make a video when I do it.

" Watched whatever youtube videos I could find, then just took my time figuring it out. make sure you have both sides of the car jacked up at same time, otherwise the front sway bar gets tension and makes things tougher. Also, I was able to separate ball joints without destroying them by CAREFULLY using the harbor freight tool. (That tool is a godsend). You want to have the full weight of the car on the suspension before the final tightening of the innermost bolts for your control arms. I have a friend with a garage, so I hand tightened those bolts, drove slowly the 4 miles to his shop, and drove the car up on the alignment rack, got underneath, then tightened those bolts down well. If you dont do this, your control arm bushings will wear faster as they will be twisted at an unnatural position. I also needed an alignment after doing all 4 lower arms. And you probably already know...dont overtigten any nut that goes on your ball joints. Otherwise, you can snap the ball joint. "
The following users liked this post:
hergs7 (08-01-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Barry how did you find that diagram in WIS?I have a laptop from shardul
Old 10-23-2018, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MACEDON
Barry how did you find that diagram in WIS?I have a laptop from shardul
The diagram is from the online Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC). I have a subscription and it is worth every penny. Unfortunately, EPC is going to a new platform sometime by the end of this year; I'm waiting to see how the new program will work...

The only difference in the parts diagrams is the early E55 (2003) used a one-piece upper control arm that was replaced with the two-piece upper control arm.