W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 wont pass smog!! problem with the ob2 port?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55 AMG
E55 wont pass smog!! problem with the ob2 port?

I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. Registration is due and I needed a smog check, my check engine has been and I have been procrastinating to address the issue. I have an OB2 scanner and it worked previously however when i plug it in the OB2 port i keep getting a link error. I know it cant be the fuse because the scanner powers on, it just doesnt connect to read the codes. I tested the OB2 scanner on another car and it worked fine. I guess the next thing to do would be to check the port itself, does anyone know to remove the port so i can make sure all the wires are good. What else could it be?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
I'd check the port to make sure the terminals are seated properly and one didn't get pushed out of it's seat. The port can easily be removed by removing the under dash panel it's attached to (a few screws and a white plastic push retainer towards the firewall). From the top inside of the panel there is a retention bracket that holds the port to the panel. You need to push to slide it to one side to unlock it and then the port/wire harness pulls away from the panel.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:35 PM

2003 E55 AMG
thanks for the reply. I unseated the plug and performed a visual check and everything seems fine. Could this possibly be a connection problem between the ecu and ob2? does anyone know to check the connections to the ecu?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:47 PM

2004 E55
Have you tried a different OBD2 scanner or connect a STAR to it just to see if those can connect? Have you done any wiring related installs or modifications (aftermarket HU, lowering module, data logger, radar detector, etc.) since your scanner last worked?
Old 08-04-2018, 02:23 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks for you help mbmg, i really appreciate it. the ob2 scanner i am using previous worked on my car. The car is stock. What do you mean connect to STAR, i have to bring it to a certified mercedes repair shop that uses STAR?
Old 08-04-2018, 02:35 PM

2004 E55
Yes, just to try to rule out that there is something wrong with your current OBD2 scanner even though it works in other vehicles. "STAR" is Mercedes' star diagnostic scanner. It does much more than basic scanners. The dealer has them but many times you can find someone in your area that will scan your car for you if you don't have one. If you are in the Bay Area I'm almost certain there are some members of this forum in your area that have a STAR SDS and that can help you.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:43 AM

2003 E55 AMG
ok thanks for yor help