Issues Programming Garage Door Opener - broken button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
Issues Programming Garage Door Opener - broken button

Hello,

I am a new E55 AMG owner as of about 3 weeks ago. Love the car! One issue I am having is I cannot get the integrated garage door opener to program. The previous owner told me when I bought it that the 1st button (left) was not working but that he was able to program. I have tried and having no luck. According to everything I read, you press and hold the 2 outer buttons to clear the memory. Then you can program up to 3 buttons. Well, since that 1st button is failing, I might be out of luck....but previous owner got it working. From the manual, it sounds like you don't need to clear the memory if there are other 'un-programmed buttons.' I attached a screenshot of the instructions and it says "If you later wish to program and 2nd or 3rd button, don not repeat this step and go the step 3." I wonder if the previous owner(s) programmed all 3 buttons and now since I can't clear the memory, there are no free buttons to program myself?

I hold my garage door opener right next to it and follow the steps and it does flicker slow , then fast, then I release. But it is not opening my garage. Am pressing the large button.

I suppose I could buy a new mirror - trying to avoid that.

See pics below of my opener (if that helps) and the manual.

Thanks for any input!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
04 E55
I had issues too. I don't think the directions were the best in the manual or complete.

I had to program mine by resetting the codes, both outer buttons. Then push the garage door program button. Then push the button you want to program twice for the 3 seconds each. That' only gives it the ID of your garage door. Then you have to program it again by doing what your doing currently , but don't reset the codes again. - I believe that's what I had to do to finally get it to work. If it doesn't try using the program button again for the second part.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
Originally Posted by ggh4
I had issues too. I don't think the directions were the best in the manual or complete.

I had to program mine by resetting the codes, both outer buttons. Then push the garage door program button. Then push the button you want to program twice for the 3 seconds each. That' only gives it the ID of your garage door. Then you have to program it again by doing what your doing currently , but don't reset the codes again. - I believe that's what I had to do to finally get it to work. If it doesn't try using the program button again for the second part.

Thanks. This is interesting. Looks like programming the integrated buttons with the opener motor as opposed to holding the handhelpd opener up to the integrated ones in the E55 (which every YouTube video pretty much shows). I am worried that that dead 1st button is my issue. I will try playing around with the steps you attached. Appreciate you sending this over.