Sponsored by:

80MM Pulley Install and My Opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
80MM Pulley Install and My Opinion + EC Tune

Well let me tell you after 4 hours to get this installed at my local mechanic shop I was off and driving, this was more so the mechanic hating after market parts and never installing a pulley on a e55 and as well not listening to me telling him you go about it in a certain way, lol what mechanic does like being told how to go about it

. Getting that bolt off to get the pulley off was a PITA. It took forever and a trip to Home Depot to get it done. It was on there tight and just gave a really hard time. I got the 80mm on and used the single washer it came with. Has a very very slight scrape that I can only tell but other wise it spins and no wobble. Also when with a smaller HD belt to compliment things and keep it from slipping.

Now for the drive. I honestly feel it being more torquey then it gaining more horsepower. I really don't feel up top in the rpm's it pull that much harder for me to say wow that's so noticeable but the torque yes for sure. I thought before when I was doing 70+ you tap the gas pedal and it would jump forward now it's more pronounced and obvious. The car does feel jerky like once in a while it will jerk when i tap the throttle to quickly. Not sure what that's from. Overall I'm pretty happy with the install.

Next i gotta get my secondary Heat Exchanger Installed and get them to wire the IC pump with the Ignition. From there I'll decide wether i should do a 2.5 Tank and Killer Chiller or not. I still got a ways to go in modding the car but for now I'm pretty happy with the power.

Last edited by karpetcm; 09-20-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by karpetcm
Well let me tell you after 4 hours to get this installed at my local mechanic shop I was off and driving, this was more so the mechanic hating after market parts and never installing a pulley on a e55 and as well not listening to me telling him you go about it in a certain way, lol what mechanic does like being told how to go about it

. Getting that bolt off to get the pulley off was a PITA. It took forever and a trip to Home Depot to get it done. It was on there tight and just gave a really hard time. I got the 80mm on and used the single washer it came with. Has a very very slight scrape that I can only tell but other wise it spins and no wobble. Also when with a smaller HD belt to compliment things and keep it from slipping.

Now for the drive. I honestly feel it being more torquey then it gaining more horsepower. I really don't feel up top in the rpm's it pull that much harder for me to say wow that's so noticeable but the torque yes for sure. I thought before when I was doing 70+ you tap the gas pedal and it would jump forward now it's more pronounced and obvious. The car does feel jerky like once in a while it will jerk when i tap the throttle to quickly. Not sure what that's from. Overall I'm pretty happy with the install.

Next i gotta get my secondary Heat Exchanger Installed and get them to wire the IC pump with the Ignition. From there I'll decide wether i should do a 2.5 Tank and Killer Chiller or not. I still got a ways to go in modding the car but for now I'm pretty happy with the power.
Did you get a tune for the new pulley, or just install and go on stock tune?

Edit : Never mind, just read your other thread that you did load a tune. Must say when I went from stock pulley to 84mm and tune there was only 15rwhp difference, needless to say very dissappointing, I could not tell the difference. Disclaimer... I am at high altitude.

Last edited by C32owner; 09-20-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:33 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32owner
Did you get a tune for the new pulley, or just install and go on stock tune?

Edit : Never mind, just read your other thread that you did load a tune. Must say when I went from stock pulley to 84mm and tune there was only 15rwhp difference, needless to say very dissappointing, I could not tell the difference. Disclaimer... I am at high altitude.
89 to 84mm i think is about 1psi of boost so 10-15 i think is normal and tq you should be 20+rwtq. Hi altitude is tough and maybe hard to tune it as well. Mine bucks at low speeds or hesitates now, not sure if the pulley is on too tight i used the only washer that came with the pulley or its the tune. It doesnt do it all the time. I feel more tq then hp gain so im in the same boat as you. I really wasnt expecting wonders either. I think im gonna go back to cooling mods and ill see what happens with headers still not sure on that mod yer due to being in cali. By the way not sure how it inserted the photo in my original post were it did, lol.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
The buck is pretty normal unfortunately, as you put a smaller SC pulley it's a little more dramatic on the motor when that clutch locks up. The clutch always engages above 3500 rpm but you have to be very light on throttle for that. So depending on how you're throttling you'll get that clutch engage usually in the mid 2000ish RPM range.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by drothgeb
The buck is pretty normal unfortunately, as you put a smaller SC pulley it's a little more dramatic on the motor when that clutch locks up. The clutch always engages above 3500 rpm but you have to be very light on throttle for that. So depending on how you're throttling you'll get that clutch engage usually in the mid 2000ish RPM range.

ok perfect im glad its normal. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (sold), 2005 E55 AMG
Would it help smooth out the SC engagement if you added/removed shims? My stock pulley bucks (and chirps) at low speeds when it engages at around 2000ish RPMs, but engagement is smooth (but still chirps) if I'm easy on the throttle and it engages at higher speeds (as drothgeb mentioned). I was planning to take the pulley off and play around with the gap
Old 09-20-2018, 08:37 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by KAMG
Would it help smooth out the SC engagement if you added/removed shims? My stock pulley bucks (and chirps) at low speeds when it engages at around 2000ish RPMs, but engagement is smooth (but still chirps) if I'm easy on the throttle and it engages at higher speeds (as drothgeb mentioned). I was planning to take the pulley off and play around with the gap
my situation was if i added another shim it would’ve had too much of a gap, so i was at .30 or i add a shim and im way off to much gap. I know or think ideal is .35-.45 but i was either lower or higher.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 PM

2005 E55
I have played with gap myself several times to no avail unfortunately.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I have played with gap myself several times to no avail unfortunately.
over the years of modding i came to a certain and positive conclusion that most aftermarket parts you put on your car are simply no where near engineered as the stock parts and if you go aftermarket there are some pro’s and con’s and that’s the risk we take. So if it bucks/hesitates and that’s the way it is I’ll live with it. I knew looking at the shim i got and the stock one it was going to be useless trying to invest lots of time getting the right gap. I put the one shim it came with gap was close enough after trying to test fit another shim and said I’ll stick to one and move on. Granted there are very good quality aftermarket parts butttttt another unknown is how well there installed. I’ve installed long tube headers excellent quality and a very highly recommended and reputable mechanic, broke my oil pressure sensor during install never mentioned it. Going home 1 am car puked oil all over the freeway.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
I just kick the clutch on, quick light stab of the throttle, at say 2,000 rpm when I know I am going to play and I have it down to where you can't really notice it. Will stay on forever until I come to an idle. Mine also can be abrupt if I don't do this as my pulley combination , 168-74 upper is a wee bit aggressive.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SICAMG
I just kick the clutch on, quick light stab of the throttle, at say 2,000 rpm when I know I am going to play and I have it down to where you can't really notice it. Will stay on forever until I come to an idle. Mine also can be abrupt if I don't do this as my pulley combination , 168-74 upper is a wee bit aggressive.
I'm able to control the throttle for it to engage smoothly most of the time now, but still get that buck once in a while. Guess it won't be getting any better when I get my 77 pulley lol
Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I'm really leaning towards getting a BWK either way so ill do that next. I really need to find someone reputable to install my secondary heat exchanger in my area most people look at me funny when I ask them to install it. Have no clue as to what I'm talking about, lol.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:43 PM

I'm really leaning towards getting a BWK either way so ill do that next. I really need to find someone reputable to install my secondary heat exchanger in my area most people look at me funny when I ask them to install it. Have no clue as to what I'm talking about, lol.
Tell them it's a radiator
Old 09-21-2018, 02:44 PM

2005 E55
Sounds like it's time for you to figure out how to start wrenching bubba
The following users liked this post:
FunkTron (09-24-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:52 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Sounds like it's time for you to figure out how to start wrenching bubba
ya for sure lol, it took me over an hour to convince the guy who changed my pulley on how to do it. He was talking about removing the fan shroud, radiator and jack up the front of the motor to get the angle. I'm like WHAT. Dude you just need to do this, he was soo hung up on doing it his way it took way longer then it needed.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by SICAMG
What boost are you seeing with this pulley combo? And are you running headers at all?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32owner
What boost are you seeing with this pulley combo? And are you running headers at all?
only way for me to tell is to run my dashcommand app. No headers. Still on the fence, living in cali smog is a issue.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:32 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
He was talking about removing the fan shroud, radiator and jack up the front of the motor to get the angle. I'm like WHAT. Dude you just need to do this, he was soo hung up on doing it his way it took way longer then it needed.
That is the only way you can fit an impact wrench on it (radiator isn't necessary). Some pulley bolts you can't remove any other way.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
ya for sure lol, it took me over an hour to convince the guy who changed my pulley on how to do it. He was talking about removing the fan shroud, radiator and jack up the front of the motor to get the angle. I'm like WHAT. Dude you just need to do this, he was soo hung up on doing it his way it took way longer then it needed.
wait, so what you need to do exactly?
Old 09-26-2018, 03:46 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by milkboneeee
wait, so what you need to do exactly?
To get the pulley bolt undone? There are several methods ranging from easy to highly annoying. Spanner and hose clamp technique works for most people but it won't help with really tight bolts.