W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm about to use my STAR machine for the first time, I have a few basic questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
I'm about to use my STAR machine for the first time, I have a few basic questions

All,

I have a STAR machine that I bought a while back, luckily the car has been behaving beautifully so until now I have had no real reason to use it. My car is a 2006 E55. I just had a check engine light come on, so now seems to be the time to hook it up and see what it can do. The car still seems to be running well, so I have no idea what may be triggering the light. I do have a bit of a rough idle on cold startup so it may be connected to that. We'll see.

The STAR I purchased through Shardul is the wired version (C3??) with a laptop with the software fully installed on the dedicated laptop computer. I've seen the sticky thread with all the ways to use the setup, but my questions are much more basic, centered around initial hookup and startup.

I see how the cable connects the computer to the big black and aluminum box. From that box, I assume I connect to the OBDII type port under the dash? I have another (3rd) cable with a different type of large connector on it, I assume that is for a different MB car? It's got some sort of huge silver connector on the end that looks almost like a gas cap. What is this for?

Once I have the wires hooked up to the computer and the car, I'm guessing I then turn on the computer and launch the program only after it's connected to the car? Or do I want the program up and running on the computer prior to hooking up he cables to the car? Do I wait to turn the car on until after the unit is connected to the car and the program launches on the computer? Do I turn the key on only, or do I actually start and run the car while checking? How do I know that the computer is actually electronically connected to the car's system and ready to read?

Lastly, how do I do a general read of all codes present in the car? Once I get to this point I think the sticky will teach me more about different things I can do with the STAR. I'm pretty excited about learning more that it can do. Any other input anyone has along with the above questions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Doug427; 10-29-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 253 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ts-o-pics.html

This is located on the 211 amg forum main page at the top under sticky threads.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 AM

2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Yes, I saw that thread, but I'm not seeing where it has basic initial hookup info in it. It seems to delve right into how to lower the car using STAR, etc.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 936 Likes on 728 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The large 38-pin connector is for the older cars such as the W210 from 3/97 to model year 2002.
-Connect yours to the OBD2 port under the dash.
-Boot the computer, turn the ignition key to position 2 (run), and launch the program. It's not particularly fast so stay patient. If, when new, it fails to connect multiple times, apply spray contact cleaner to the connectors and mate/demate multiple times to "wipe" the contacts; that did the trick for my system.
-Follow the screen prompts to your E55 and start with a "Quick Test".
-If it has been awhile since the car was on a diagnostic system you are going to find many, many errors. "F" is current error. "f" is stored error that occurred but is no longer a problem. "i" is information such as "New software is available for this module". Erase the errors and check the car again a day or week later; any errors that return you can now track down and correct.
-If you have the "developer kit" it is a double-edged sword; very handy to have but you have the potential to brick your car. Keep a German/English translation handy and research before you begin "bit-banging" down inside the modules. Now would be a good time to check out transmission health, SBC actuations, estimated remaining SBC pump life, and pre-tensioning reservoir pressure. The system is also very handy when it comes time for brake work or when you need to re-calibrate the suspension.
-If you continue to get "small evap system leak", replace the gas cap gasket and apply hose clamps to either side of the purge valve behind the driver's side headlight; those were the two areas on my car that kept triggering the CEL.
The following users liked this post:
FunkTron (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 AM

Awesome info, bbirdwell - just what I was looking for. I just tried to boot up the computer part of the STAR unit for the first time since I bought it in the Spring, and DAMN, the thing won;t boot. Looks like I may be out of luck. I waited too long to try it from when I received it.

I do have a small handheld CarSoft MBII scanner as well. I just hooked that up in the mean time, and you are clairvoyant. It is in fact indicating P2075-002 "Purge control system has a slight leak (minor leak). Leak in hose connection or shutoff valve of activated charcoal canister (P0456). It sounds like just what you'd mentioned. I'll do as you suggested and see if I can get the light to stay out.

For now I have to figure out how to get the darned STAR machine to boot up. I hope the computer itself isn't toast, I never even got to use the darned thing!
Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
No offense, but when it comes to these type of stickers there's not much info or help or pics..

Many go by mouth but show real information for the next member ..When it comes to the star is best to ask real star guys these questions ,,I learned so many things on my own in test mode playing with it hours a day..Now ,I get techs asking me how to do things on star.Tinker with it and you'll master it .
Old 11-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
The damper cage has an upgraded unit 211-470-01-16 and the purge valve 000-470-88-93 The upgraded parts got rid of a P0455 that threw a CEL and red check fuel cap message that I had.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...0455-woes.html