Oil Temperature Sensor and Front Brake Pad Delamination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Oil Temperature Sensor and Front Brake Pad Delamination

I took a road trip up to Pittsburgh, PA over the past weekend. Anyway, I noticed that my oil temperature displayed in the cluster of my 07 E63 was fluctuation between 74-81 degrees Celsius. I know that the sensor must be going bad, so I order one Sunday night. And I'm scheduled to take in my E63, to see the boys at Benz Elite Automotive this Friday to have to oil temp sensor replaced. But first, I reached out to my good friend Jack, who is the shop foreman and AMG Master Tech at MB of Arlington. On the $650 that I was quoted. Apparently on some Mercedes the sensor was located on the oil pan. On some AMG's they incorporated the oil level and oil temperature into one sensor, but not on the M156. It requires a ton of work, just to get access to the sensor, which lays on the block near the AC Compressor. So the engine oil has to be drained, the AC Compressor must be evac so that the lines can be disconnected, brackets have to be removed. A ton if s**t, hence the price. And once the sensor is replaced, then oil and AC refrigerant needs to be added. I will try to take photos. Okay, on to my next issue.......

I was driven the car rather aggressively, on the back country roads leading from Western Maryland up through PA, and came across this issue. I starting getting a slight vibration in the brake pedal. And when I stop to check it out with a flashlight, I noticed that the front brake pad material was delaminating. Meaning the adhesive that binds the brake pad material together was coming apart. I could see chucks of the pad missing when I examined them, outlined on the pads in red below. I believe that the slots in the rotor were tearing into the pads under hard braking. The material was apparently rolling under the pad causing the vibration issue, as the rotors are smooth, and I just did a complete brake job like 7 months ago. Under light braking is the issue is non-existent. So I'm just going to replace them.

And the spokes of the wheels were covered in thick gray ceramic dust, validating my conclusion. See, highlighter on wheel below. Well, I ordered new pads along with the new oil temp sensor.
The new sport pads are Stop Tech Carbon Fiber/Ceramic Evolution Sport Brake Pads. These pads resist fade to much higher temperatures than OEM pads. Has anyone experienced either of these issues with there W211 E63?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Well, I changed out my front brake pads for Ceramic/Carbon Fiber Evolution Pads from PowerStop. Brakes feel the same as they did before, no change.
Well, the oil temp sensor gave us some issues, as it resides right next to the AC Compressor. What a pain in the A** to get at. Well, we changed it out at the same issue existed.
but this time the temp raised up to 215 degrees, when the tech took it for a test drive. The Auxiliary oil cooler fan was running strong, to be honest this is the first time, that I ever heard it run.
At least now, I know that it works. We ended up changing the sensor out for another one. And reset the system using Star Diagnostic. Now that temperature fluctuates several degrees.
So the fix didn't remedied the issue. But one good things came out of all this, it that we found a tear in the serpentine belt that was 6" long. This could have been catastrophic, if it would have let go on my trip to/from Pittsburgh, PA. So I'm glad that we caught it, and replaced it.