W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Smog Issues In Southern California How Do I Get Around It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211 E500
E55 Smog Issues In Southern California How Do I Get Around It?

My E55 has been sitting with a certificate of non op for about a year. I just finished a lot of work that included unhooking the battery for a week. I believe I need to drive it 100 miles before I can get it smogged. I have 2017 plates on it and don’t want to get pulled over either! I have no CEL on. Is there any way around this? I have stock headers, two front cats and x pipe. Thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Move out of tax happy California? Sounds like a feasible option tbh
Old 11-11-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211 E500
I wish I could!

Originally Posted by zhmorrow13
Move out of tax happy California? Sounds like a feasible option tbh
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
If they check under the car there's a good chance you won't pass without secondaries.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
Two options I can think of,

Apply for a temporary SMOG exemption. I am not 100% sure how it works out of state but hopefully this could get the gears turning in the brain to figure out a Cali workaround.

Here in new york, you need an updated registration (similar to the cali plate sticker, ours is on windshield) and a vehicle inspection sticker (emissions and safety). Here you can get a 10-day inspection temporary extension on the inspection/SMOG, get the opportunity to drive around and have all systems check out.

There are shortcuts to OBDII readiness monitors that will not require the "100 mile" drive (I've done this in the past w/ audis and vws, notorious for CELs). I pulled these off from my old saved links.

1 Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2 Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3 Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4 Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

or

1. Secondary Air Injection Monitor

- From a cold start, start engine and while the vehicle is in Park, accelerate engine speed to 1400 rpm. Ensure A/C system is off and the engine has no load (all lighting, radio, and defroster should be off).

- Allow engine temperature to reach 158°F-200°F. This temperature range should be achieved when your MBZ's temp gauge shows near the middle (normal operating temp).

- Maintain 1400 RPMs for 7 minutes.

- Return engine speed to idle (off throttle) for 6 seconds.

- Turn the ignition OFF.

- Wait ten seconds and repeat this step.

- Continue to Step 2.

2. 02 Sensor Heater Monitor

- Start engine and with transmission in Park and no load applied, increase engine speed to between 2,000 to 2,500 RPM and maintain this RPM for 2 minutes. Keep RPM steady at which ever range you've chosen (between 2,000 and 2,500).

- After 2 minutes, reduce engine speed to idle and run engine with no load applied for 6 minutes.

- Continue to Step 3.

3. Oxygen Sensor Monitor

- Begin driving. Accelerate to 43 mph (70 km/h) and hold speed for 3 minutes.

- Continue to Step 4.

4. Catalyst Monitor

- Increase speed to between 48-54 mph (80-90 km/h) and continue driving for 3 minutes.

- Bring the vehicle to a stop and place transmission in Park.

- Idle engine with no load for 3 minutes.

- Continue to Step 5.

5. EGR Monitor

- Place vehicle in Drive and (D position) and accelerate smoothly up to 2000 rpm. Monitoring MPH at this point is not necessary. It is only necessary that you maintain required engine RPMs while your Mercedes is moving. After engine speed reaches 2000 rpms, decelerate smoothly back down to 1100 rpm.

- Stop vehicle. Place transmission in Park. Wait 10 seconds and repeat this step.

- Continue to Step 6.

6. Fuel System EVAP Monitor

- Ensure the fuel tank level is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.

- Ensure engine temperature less than 212°F.

- With the transmission in Park position, start and idle engine for 20 minutes. Ensure there is no load. A/C, radio, lighting, and defroster must be off.

- After 20 minutes, turn engine and ignition OFF.

- Wait 10 seconds and repeat this step.

7. Drive Cycle End

- Perform Steps 1 through 6 again.

If all other emissions systems are functioning properly, completing the drive cycle above should set or make ready (complete) your Mercedes Benz E63 emission monitors. If the emission monitors are still not complete then check for any trouble codes and whether the check engine light is on or not. If faults are found make the appropriate repairs and conduct the drive cycle again.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
Usually a 10-15 mile drive is plenty for every monitor except EVAP on a MB. Unlike some vehicles, there really is no need for a special drive cycle, although idling for a few minutes before driving does seem to help sometimes. I'm not sure about CA, but in NY you will pass with one monitor not ready (as long as everything else passes) and that will typically be EVAP. Depending on the ambient conditions, you may have a lot of trouble getting EVAP to run (particularly when it's cold out). Assuming one "not ready" is ok, just take it for a 10-15 mile drive with a mixture of around town and highway driving. If you have a cheap OBD scanner, you can watch the monitors to see that they pass (or borrow one from an auto parts store).
Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts
N/A
California is ridiculous. Hopefully your car isn't flagged and you don't have to go to a special station. If the car has the stock exhaust you will pass visual. If not tell them the parts are OEM replacements. Make sure the plugs are new. Change the oil. Make sure your emissions equipment is in working order. Make sure the car is hot, I know some people let their cars sit an idle for 15 minutes to heat up the exhaust for cleaner burn, don't let it cool down. You also may ask one of the tuners on the board here if they can send you a temporary leaner tune so you can pass smog.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wil...st-200388.html