BATTERIES: OEM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by MBenz777
The idea was the other way around: apparently the batteries mentioned here to be better quality and last longer are a bit more expensive and I said that is worth the extra expense, if we know for sure which are the better, long lasting one.

You kidding, right!?! 8-9 lbs extra weight won't make any notifiable difference to a car.
I would only consider an AGM battery which was the factory battery. So it's a factory Johnson Controls AGM battery. Take your pick of rebranded Johnson Control batteries. I'd lean toward the Champion one if you're in a hot state, otherwise the Advance Auto one is probably the cheapest. There's still that $150 off $300 coupon which you can use at the dealer on a battery so if you don't feel like swapping it out and don't mind paying a little extra for some "free" snacks and a car wash, that's also a viable route.

As for the faster bit, yeah, I was kinda kidding, but this is the AMG forum. There's some thread on here were someone replaced their battery with a 10 pound lithium one. Nowhere near the CCA or reserve requirements, but for mild weather, that 50 pounds makes it a tiny bit faster. For ultimate speed, I guess you could lose some weight, empty out the windshield washer fluid and only have a couple gallons of gas in the tank.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm here with my 2003 SL55 AMG, the latest edition to the fleet
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
There's some thread on here were someone replaced their battery with a 10 pound lithium one.
LOL ... There are literally 500 things you could remove from this car to make it faster before worrying about the battery. But who am I to say you wouldn't want a massage while you're running the 1/4 mi.?

Old 12-14-2018, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I'm an electrical engineer. That's an interesting theory. I suppose the field could be stronger if it needs to charge a battery. But the reason the alternator dies is typically the voltage regulator which wears out and the bearings which are mechanical. I think having a bigger load load won't really affect the charging system, wear and failure is more due to mechanical reasons.

Also JCI does over half the batteries sold. At Pepboys, the Bosch is an Exide and the Champion is a JCI. Walmart might swap between Exide and JCI. Not sure about Autozone and Advance, could be JCI or Exide, just have to google search for them. JCI makes good batteries along with bad batteries on the same line as there's a range of 1 year, 2 year and 3 year batteries that they all sell. Usually the AGM batteries are considered more top line so they'll probably last longer as you can see from this thread.
I have replaced the vr in all three of my mercs. One for the brushes, one just died, and one preemptively. FWIW the bearings in the ML alternator were still smooth and tight at 300k miles. It's over 330 now but I haven't checked it again.
I'm not an electrical engineer, but aren"t brushes subject to mechanical and electrical wear? Wouldn't they wear faster at higher load? My old battery would pull over 4 amps from the charger even after it was fully charged, so that would be on top of the normal electrical load of the car wouldn't it? Maybe 4 amps isn't enough to mean anything.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
Originally Posted by hachiroku
thank you. was curious since i just had AAA replace my battery and didn't know what they put in. after calling them they mentioned they use Interstate batteries so this is what was installed. FYI...AAA installs batteries to your car if the battery has gone flat. The price they offer is cheaper than retail.
AAA sub's out to local indy's. I had to have them replace 2 batteries (wife and son) both times I got gouged, I could have saved a C-note if I had done it myself.

IMO. For me...I buy the best on sale (when the wife and kids aren't involved ) from who ever, wet or AGM. It's just another maintenance item that is an easy DIY I prefer a serviceable battery that I can top off once a year with distilled water. I also have a battery desulfator that I use once or so a year, to help extend battery life. In fact China freight has their "new" Viking series battery chargers on sale now that have a built in desulfator option. Either 25 or 40 bucks with coupon

Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
I have replaced the vr in all three of my mercs. One for the brushes, one just died, and one preemptively. FWIW the bearings in the ML alternator were still smooth and tight at 300k miles. It's over 330 now but I haven't checked it again.
I'm not an electrical engineer, but aren"t brushes subject to mechanical and electrical wear? Wouldn't they wear faster at higher load? My old battery would pull over 4 amps from the charger even after it was fully charged, so that would be on top of the normal electrical load of the car wouldn't it? Maybe 4 amps isn't enough to mean anything.
That's pretty far to go on the original alternator. Mine is a 180 amp alternator. Whether you're charging the battery or just running all the electronics on the car, the alternator is still putting out the current required on the car. Probably not a max of 180 all the time, but whether it's 60 or 80, it's still undergoing normal wear. And yes, when they're rebuilding the alternator, they typically replace the brushes, voltage regulator and the bearings and whatever else might be worn out. Sometimes it's just the bell curve, some will last a long while and some will die early.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2001 ML320 (gave to family member), 2007 GL450
The “Platinum” AGM battery from Advance Auto I put in 5 years ago is already dead. this was for a GL.

Made in Germany
It was almost the same price as OEM. I decided it was better to buy the OEM this time, as the last one MA last almost 11 years. Plus, the OEM is made in Germany.

Disclaimer: I used to be a senior engineer at Mercedes R&D…
MA

:-)
Old 04-29-2023, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Isentropic
The “Platinum” AGM battery from Advance Auto I put in 5 years ago is already dead. this was for a GL.
It was almost the same price as OEM. I decided it was better to buy the OEM this time, as the last one MA last almost 11 years. Plus, the OEM is made in Germany.
Disclaimer: I used to be a senior engineer at Mercedes R&D…
MA
:-)
The OEM maker of the Varta battery was Johnson Controls who sold their battery division to Clarios. Clarios has over 50 facilities worldwide. I think the AGM battery from Advance Auto is also from Clarios. So I think there's a few variables here, the batteries coming out of different factories, some might be better than others. Or just your standard cost cutting over the years and corners being cut or the purity of the lead/production isn't there. Basically I don't think you got anywhere by going to Varta instead of Advance Auto. Just one of those gambles either way. You might try Champion next time from Pepboys, also a Clarios battery, but it has a 4 year warranty instead of the 3 year like most other places. But if it only lasts you 5 years, it won't really matter. I think MB only has a 2 year warranty on parts. I still have the OEM battery in my 2008 over 15 years now, it's getting weak though, as soon as I shut off the engine, I leave. It'd be weak if I sit in the car with the seating heaters going and listen to the radio for a few minutes afterwards.

Did you just get the battery? Noticed the 1/2023 sticker so if you just did, it's been sitting around for a while. A fresh one is typically just one or two months old.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:51 PM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 E55
The OEM maker of the Varta battery was Johnson Controls who sold their battery division to Clarios. Clarios has over 50 facilities worldwide. I think the AGM battery from Advance Auto is also from Clarios. So I think there's a few variables here, the batteries coming out of different factories, some might be better than others. Or just your standard cost cutting over the years and corners being cut or the purity of the lead/production isn't there. Basically I don't think you got anywhere by going to Varta instead of Advance Auto. Just one of those gambles either way. You might try Champion next time from Pepboys, also a Clarios battery, but it has a 4 year warranty instead of the 3 year like most other places. But if it only lasts you 5 years, it won't really matter. I think MB only has a 2 year warranty on parts. I still have the OEM battery in my 2008 over 15 years now, it's getting weak though, as soon as I shut off the engine, I leave. It'd be weak if I sit in the car with the seating heaters going and listen to the radio for a few minutes afterwards.

Did you just get the battery? Noticed the 1/2023 sticker so if you just did, it's been sitting around for a while. A fresh one is typically just one or two months old.
I just purchased a new battery from Walmart (yes, I know....). It ended up being shipped directly from Clarios and was marked "Made in Germany". It is clearly a Varta and it had a longer warranty than any of the others and was cheaper by a fair amount. I would not normally buy anything for my MB from Walmart, but this did seem like a good purchase.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MJBelcher500
I just purchased a new battery from Walmart (yes, I know....). It ended up being shipped directly from Clarios and was marked "Made in Germany". It is clearly a Varta and it had a longer warranty than any of the others and was cheaper by a fair amount. I would not normally buy anything for my MB from Walmart, but this did seem like a good purchase.
Is your battery on the right side of the spare tire well?

Can you share the part number or sku number and what it cost?
Old 04-30-2023, 10:47 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by tlambert
Is your battery on the right side of the spare tire well?

Can you share the part number or sku number and what it cost?
This is the one I purchased https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...-CCA/380996471
$169 with free shipping. I had to pay tax and a $10 core charge.
My battery is to the right of the spare if you are looking towards the front of the car.
The following users liked this post:
tlambert (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
This is the one I purchased https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...-CCA/380996471
$169 with free shipping. I had to pay tax and a $10 core charge.
My battery is to the right of the spare if you are looking towards the front of the car.
Yes battery on the right. Thanks for the info. And of course it’s out of stock now. Lol.

Shouldn’t the + post of the battery be on the top BUT on the left (inboard) near the spare tire?

I believe that pic is wrong in that ad? Mine is a 05 and the car isn’t near me at the moment but I’m pretty sure it’s like I described.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:33 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by tlambert
Yes battery on the right. Thanks for the info. And of course it’s out of stock now. Lol.

Shouldn’t the + post of the battery be on the top BUT on the left (inboard) near the spare tire?

I believe that pic is wrong in that ad? Mine is a 05 and the car isn’t near me at the moment but I’m pretty sure it’s like I described.
Mine has the positive post in the upper right position. That is the same way the factory MB battery had it.

It could be that Clarios is waiting for another batch to come in from Germany. I'd check back in a few days if you can wait.

Last edited by MJBelcher500; 04-30-2023 at 11:35 PM.
tlambert (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I don't know about the rest of you, but I got 11 good years out of my last OEM battery. And when it came time to replace it, I bought another OEM.
Yes, you might pay a little more on the front end, but you get a lot of years out of it in the back end. Not like some batteries that die after a 3-5 years.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Mine has the positive post in the upper right position. That is the same way the factory MB battery had it.

It could be that Clarios is waiting for another batch to come in from Germany. I'd check back in a few days if you can wait.
I’ll check it today. It’s been a while since I’ve looked.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 369 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Thats a long time! Normal life is about 6 years, so you almost doubled it.

I replaced both batteries for peace of mind, as I couldnt trust the last owner about the things that were supposedly done. I went with Exide

Old 05-01-2023, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
Thats a long time! Normal life is about 6 years, so you almost doubled it.

I replaced both batteries for peace of mind, as I couldnt trust the last owner about the things that were supposedly done. I went with Exide
Exide is considered the worst of the 3 battery makers. East Peen might be the best, then Clarios and then Exide. East Penn isn't as big though so harder to find, mostly regional. Still there's many factories and battery maker isn't the only reason a battery would last a while. Still have the OEM battery in my 2008 E350, over 15 years now. Starting to get weak though. Got another car so no big deal if it can't start. Maybe next winter I'll get rid of it.

Originally Posted by Yuille36
I don't know about the rest of you, but I got 11 good years out of my last OEM battery. And when it came time to replace it, I bought another OEM.
Yes, you might pay a little more on the front end, but you get a lot of years out of it in the back end. Not like some batteries that die after a 3-5 years.
I'm not really sure what you're saying or think you're saying. Most battery brands like Diehard, Interstate, Champion, Varta, etc are all basically relabeled Clarios batteries. None of them have their own plants. The ones that die after 3-5 years are probably Exide. Or a battery that isn't kept fully charged or discharged too often or in a hot state. Heat and low state of charge will also kill a battery. Walmart is more of a mixed bag as it depends where you are in the country, they're heavy to ship so it could be any of large battery makers. I'm also not sure why people knock them, they're the largest retailer in the US so they get a lot more pricing power than anyone else so of course they're going to be the cheapest.
Pmarino (10-08-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:03 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Yuille, you know that MB does not make its own batteries. Varta is the supplier of them. Since Clarios owns Varta and batteries purchased through them in the US are marked "Made in Germany", it would stand to reason that they are the same battery with a different decal.

Previously, I thought the same as you. I believed that the OEM batteries had to be superior to the aftermarket ones. My resent research seems to prove they are not. I double there is a super-secret version that Varta sells to MB. I could be wrong, but it is unlikely. That said, the online price for a genuine MB battery is pretty reasonable. It is the shipping that kills it. If someone lives close to one of the dealerships that sells online at a discount it would be worth going that route.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:05 AM

Received 231 Likes on 193 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Exide is considered the worst of the 3 battery makers. East Peen might be the best, then Clarios and then Exide. East Penn isn't as big though so harder to find, mostly regional. Still there's many factories and battery maker isn't the only reason a battery would last a while. Still have the OEM battery in my 2008 E350, over 15 years now. Starting to get weak though. Got another car so no big deal if it can't start. Maybe next winter I'll get rid of it.
Yes, you are correct about East Penn. It is also known as Deka (sp?) and is sold here in the US at NAPA auto parts stores.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yuille, you know that MB does not make its own batteries. Varta is the supplier of them. Since Clarios owns Varta and batteries purchased through them in the US are marked "Made in Germany", it would stand to reason that they are the same battery with a different decal.

Previously, I thought the same as you. I believed that the OEM batteries had to be superior to the aftermarket ones. My resent research seems to prove they are not. I double there is a super-secret version that Varta sells to MB. I could be wrong, but it is unlikely. That said, the online price for a genuine MB battery is pretty reasonable. It is the shipping that kills it. If someone lives close to one of the dealerships that sells online at a discount it would be worth going that route.
I would also point out that Champion at Pepboys is a 4 year warranty. Most other places like Advance Auto/Autozone is 3 years. Mercedes just does 2 years on their parts. Doesn't really matter if the battery dies in 5 years, but if it dies in 3, then it would.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG

Checked the battery yesterday. It was as you described. Looks like I need a new one for sure. It was weak when I started it. I’ll check on those again in a week.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:24 PM

Since we are talking about batteries and many of us use a battery tender, an AGM battery do not use the same charger as a standard wet cell battery. Any useage of a charger and/or tender must be proper for an AGM battery. A wet cell battery charger will shorten the life of an AGM significantly.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by machild
Since we are talking about batteries and many of us use a battery tender, an AGM battery do not use the same charger as a standard wet cell battery. Any useage of a charger and/or tender must be proper for an AGM battery. A wet cell battery charger will shorten the life of an AGM significantly.
Pretty much any cheap charger these days like this Schumacher 8 amp charger for $32 also does AGM batteries.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-02-2023, 04:52 PM

Pretty much any cheap charger these days like this Schumacher 8 amp charger for $32 also does AGM batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC.../dp/B07DM22XTN
Agreed, but if someone already has a trickle and slaps it on their new to them E55 they will regret it. There is a difference in the main battery. In my case, when I got my car a couple of years ago, I grabbed one of my many trickles to only find none were appropriate for an AGM.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I use this on my cars that sit for extended time. Seems to work good and multiple settings.

NOCO GENIUS5

https://a.co/d/gWB0pej

Last edited by tlambert; 05-03-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 369 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 >
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-5-0-12-Battery-Charger/dp/B00CD44RQO/ https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-5-0-12-Battery-Charger/dp/B00CD44RQO/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BATTERIES: OEM or aftermarket?