W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the fuel pumps and fuel filter

Old 12-18-2018, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Replacing the fuel pumps and fuel filter

In my car the gasoline pumps died both a month ago leaving me up in the highway.
Who has this problem knows that the parts cost around 1500 €, and the repair at the mercedes dealer costs around 2000 €.
In the USA this problem it is covered from extended guarantee in Mercedes, no cost. Free.
But I live in Spain, so, no guarantee. I must pay.
A lot of money for a common problem
There are two parts in the tank that handle the supply of gasoline.
In the back of the driver's seat is the module containing the gasoline filter and the pressure regulator, and on the right is the module that include the pots with the two gasoline pumps.
Theoretically, gasoline pumps can not be changed individually, being stacked in the two pots.
The gasoline filter also does not have the equivalent, and does not exist as a spare part. It has not marked any brand or number.
The gasoline pump are marked as VDO and they have an OM number, but there are no equivalents
Also, it is not possible to buy only the pump module or a gasoline and a filter module because Mercedes has found some errors and modified the design so that the hose sockets that connect the two parts do not match. Absolutely all material has to be bought to fit (pump modules and filter module). Total 1500 € only parts.
So I reserche in the the internet and I got all the information that I saw as useful and I avoided everything that seemed wrong to me. (I'll show below a colossal error seen in some posts and youtube)
1) Buy 2 fuel pumps. I buy 2 kits Walbro GSS342. 255L/hr. But you can put anything you want, bigger than that.
The Walbro GSS342 are smoller than the original pump but it is igual or more performant that the original pump.
2)Buy an Febi Bilstein fuel filter 39831.
3) Enlarge the small hole of the filter to about 10.5 mm
4) Disconnect the battery, disconnect the plugs from the two modules, disconnect the supply hose. Mark the position of the two modules (left and right), unscrew the covers, unplug the hoses and electrical cables, and carefully remove them from the tank.
5) Cut with an cuter the trident which holds the pumps fixed to the pots.
6) Replace the pump, helping with the material sent with the pump.
7) Use hot stuff to rejoin the trident exactly where it was, and other holes if it occurred when it was pulled out.
WARNING. It produces very toxic smoke by melting the two plastics, the pot and the trident,
Try not to inhale or get in your eyes. Use a fan to remove the smoke produced.
8)Cut off the original power supply cables of the pumps and add the existing plugs in the pump assembly kit.
9) Change the fuel filter and reansable the pot.
10) Put the pots in the tank
11) Use the hose pieces from the Mounting Kit to make the connection between new gasoline pumps and original hose.
Conect all the wires, and hoses.
12) Tight the pots in the tank.
Conect wire and engine supply hose.
13) Conect the baterry.
14) Try to start the engine. Insist on starter.
Problem solved with aprox 150€.
The car pulls hard. No difference in performance and to maintaining an high rev.
WARNING.
DO NOT MAKE HOLES IN THE POTS.
The pots are maded to provide enough gasoline, independent of the level of the gasoline in the tank, braking, acceleratig, gigh speed corners. IF YOU MAKE HOLES IN THE POTS THE CAR WILL RUN OK JUST WHEN THE TANK IS FULL OF GAS. Otherwise there will be interruptions in fueling in curves, sudden braking or strong acceleration.
I have a trackday car and I have added a 2-liter tank and an extra pump just to get rid of such interruptions in the fuel supp

Old 12-19-2018, 02:19 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Great work! There is definitely more than one way to solve the problem.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Don't forget to change the relay.