W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Beware: Cars with Lowered AIRMATIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by norb
Does lowering your car endanger it at high speeds? I know that the E55 lowers itself a few cm's at 75mph (thus negating the need for a rear spoiler), would that be too low if you lower it further?

I'm interested too Stephen. Can't wait for the pics.
The dealer's computer can and will only lower the car by a maximum of 8 mm on the E55 AMG, while 11mm on the E500 through "ride height optimization".

Compare that to almost 40 - 50mm using the modules!

Any modification, if done correctly with properly engineered products, should virtually eliminate associated problems.

The lowering modules as I understand, also sends a "dummy" signal to the car's suspension computer that tells it that the car is going 80mph, thus effectively eliminating the car's own intent to go lower any further above certain speeds.

The lowering module (Carlsson specifically) goes in series with the front/rear, and rear only suspension signals (that is why Carlsson has a unique front/rear and rear adjustment with 15mm swing).

These units also has a tap to the ESP control module as a feedback (data) wire so it knows what "dummy" suspension control signals to negate, should the ESP is activated on the vehicle (i.e., during emergency or slippage).

That is what the tech told me in simple words, on how these units work. I am sold that this is the only way to go.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
FYI, the modules are all the same. There is only one source in Europe that everyone gets them from. FYI.

Very good info on the module. You are right, I think that is the only way to go as well.

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-23-2004, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
How much for your module?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
A couple notes here.

I did a write up on electronic lowering modules in the CL55 forum. The review can be read here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=71313

Secondly, as you will see, not all the modules are exactly the same function wise. If the hardware at the core is the same as Brad suggests, the tuners themselves must be adding some features/adjustibility to them.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Adam,

The Kleemann module does not allow adjustability of all wheels independently. It has two knobs (like all the rest I have seen).

We have installed one on an SL55 and unless the CL module is different, I think that some misinformation was passed on to you. FYI.

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by otoupalik
FYI, the modules are all the same. There is only one source in Europe that everyone gets them from. FYI.

Very good info on the module. You are right, I think that is the only way to go as well.

Thanks

Brad
I forgot to mention that these modules also regulate the line pressures to stiffen the suspension bladders once lowered, in order to compensate the lower ride height.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by otoupalik
Adam,

The Kleemann module does not allow adjustability of all wheels independently. It has two knobs (like all the rest I have seen).

We have installed one on an SL55 and unless he CL module is different, I think that some misinformation was passed on to you. FYI.
I would assume the CL55 module is the same as far as adjustiblity as you have mentioned.

Maybe Kleemann will reply here and let us know more.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Banned

Here are the images from AUTOWERKS' website...

Airmatic (W211 E-Class)

Image shown is from a 2004 E500 with the 7G transmission (note that the transmission control module is not present in the kick panel.

ABC (W220, W215 and R230)

Note that the W220 and the W215 are installed within the fuse box in front of the driver's firewall, while the R230 is underneath the driver's side dashboard. Also that the 2003 and 2004 R230 ABC units are wired differently.

The top right picture shows the 2 adjustment potentiometers which gives a front/rear and a rear-only adjustment swing of 15mm for fine tuning the ride height.

Optionally, the car also needs to be reset using a *STAR* so that the "Power Interrupt" and "SUSP MODULE" errors are removed.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by BooBoo
Optionally, the car also needs to be reset using a *STAR* so that the "Power Interrupt" and "SUSP MODULE" errors are removed.

With the Brabus module this was not needed. Is this something unique to the Carlsson module ?

By the way, the Carlsson module externally looks EXACTLY like the Brabus module, other than the endcap with the adjustment holes.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

do any of these mfgrs provide a warranty against failure caused by the module?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by awiner
With the Brabus module this was not needed. Is this something unique to the Carlsson module ?

By the way, the Carlsson module externally looks EXACTLY like the Brabus module, other than the endcap with the adjustment holes.
A computer reset was an option. Anytime that the wires are interrupted (sink/source circuit reference), then an error may show up. It was just done as peace of mind so the dealer will not get a red flag the next time their computers attach to your car.

I was told by the Autowerks tech that the actual plugs are unplugged from the module because they re-pin and insert the wires right on the black plugs with the factory spring connectors, as opposed to cutting factory wires (cutting is stated on the instruction sheets).

This causes an error in some cases, that is why they plug a *STAR* computer to the vehicle after the work is done. Further, the fine tuning can be achieved using the *STAR*.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Where do you get the incorrect information that DAS can only lower the car 8mm????
Mine was lowered TOO far with DAS and I ended up raising it by 15mm. In this pic the car is lowered by 1" at the front AFTER it was raised.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by stephens
Where do you get the incorrect information that DAS can only lower the car 8mm????
Mine was lowered TOO far with DAS and I ended up raising it by 15mm. In this pic the car is lowered by 1" at the front AFTER it was raised.
1. Beautiful car.
2. More info on lowering with STAR would be appreciated. As mentioned, most say you can only lower about .5" max

Thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by stephens
If you really want to be technical, the "safe" operating range that a DAS will lower the car is the +/- 8mm. You need to take into account the 0.5-inch swing past certain speeds.

Anything lower than that risks the suspension travel because the DAS method does NOT prevent the car from going another 0.5-inch past the +/- 80mph setting.

Obviously, the DAS can slam the car to the point of zero suspension travel... probably the point where your car was lowered TOO far as you stated.