Sponsored by:

W211 E55 AMG Common Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Arrow W211 E55 AMG Common Problems

Hey guys Im a 19yr student at a local college of mine and I am about to purchase a 2004 E55 Amg with about 111,000 Miles. I can replace or repair a decent amount of the things that I see go wrong on this car and this is a google doc I have with common problems along with the links for where to purchase the items. I would like this to be full of all the info I need to keep my car running great so please can yall tell me what I am missing on this repair list and also if my pricing is wrong?

E55 AMG Costs
First Price = DIY
Second Price = Dealer

Repair Bills/Maintenance

Supercharger Clutch: 800 (1500) DIY

Air suspension: 500 Per

SBC Braking Pump 100

SBC System 950 (2500)

Brake pads and rotors Brake pads and rotors
(377)

SBC Reset (30)

Intercooler Pump Upgrade Intercooler Pump Upgrade
(150)

Alternator Alternator
(250)

Crank Shaft Positioning Sensor (40)

Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
SBC warranty was extended to 25 years or something like that, so that should be free at a dealer should you have an issue.

I would add:

Conductor Plate (incl ATF, harness plug, filter)

Rear Main Seal

Motor and Trans Mounts

Exhaust Manifolds (if motor and trans mounts are worn, these tend to crack)

Front Upper Ball Joints

Control Arms and Bushings at some point

Your pricing above looks fairly accurate at a quick glance, I can't mention much to pricing on what I've added as I get most of my parts at cost and do the work myself. You could also sink another $1k into it depending on what maintenance has been done up to speed (i.e. spark plugs, brake fluid flush (requires dealer or STAR diagnostic), coolant and thermostat etc).
Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Oh, and if you have the keyless entry the driver's door handle will fail every few years, that's about $250 if you want it working again each time. Or just start using the key again like I did...
The following users liked this post:
dewstr01 (06-19-2021)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:55 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
That intercooler pump isn't the best choice, you are better off with a oem Bosch for less money. You don't have fuel pump and sender assemblies, this is the last year they are still under warranty (USA only) for 2004 models. Most people would have SBC replaced at the dealer, it is currently an extended warranty (again USA only). Have a search for pulley maintenance, the bearings in all the pulleys are definitely a wear item in these cars. I didn't look too closely at the brake combo package but I would make sure you select quality stuff, meyle rotors and akebono pads would probably be much better.

I would aim to have at least $4-5k put away for unexpected issues and another 2-3k for catching up on missed maintenance from previous owner. Search for fuel filter replacement. I would never have bought a car like this at your age.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2008 BMW M5, 2004 E55 AMG (RIP)
No offense to any members here, but don’t let them scare you out of buying a car that you want. You’re 19, yeah, but so am I. I have an 04 E55 as well. Yes it’s a little weird to some people, but if this is a passion for you like it is for me then go for it. Other 19 year olds buy a $1000 new iPhone every year or multiple thousand dollar computers to play video games on or whatever. I got my E55 for a reasonable amount after selling my first car and I’ve had it for a year. It can get expensive, if you use dealer quoted prices and everything. But honestly, the parts for these cars are not overtly expensive compared to others. I’ve DIYed everything I needed to fix in my dorm parking lot with my roommates and tools from Harbor Freight. That probably sounds like blasphemy to many and even sounds funny as I type it but it’s true. As long as you have a job to pay for parts, insurance (which actually isn’t that bad for me, surprising I know), tires, and the huge amounts of fuel you’ll be using (I don’t drive everyday and still need to fill up every other week) you should be fine. I guess what I’m trying to say is not to let some of the people on this board change your mind because of how young you are. That’s the main reason I hid my age when asking questions on here before buying the car, I wanted to save all the comments I knew were coming pertaining to how young I was. I don’t regret getting it at all, it puts a smile on my face every time I get in it even if it’s just to get groceries or go to work.

I hasten to add though that a lot of the big ticket items had been done prior to my ownership. And the fuel recall is totally free so that was awesome, I did it the week I got the car and I recommend you do the same if it hasn’t been done because as tw2 mentioned, the warranty is almost up for 04’s.

Last edited by N_Rob; 01-28-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
If you have a second car or don't need a daily driver, go for it. It's funny because it suddenly became cheaper to own these after the extended fuel pump warranty and now sbc waranty. Those would have been the two of the main wallet emptiers in the past. If you can afford for the car to be off the road while you save for parts and work out how to fix it, that works. I did the same thing at 19 but it was Japanese turbocharged cars.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I give you guys all the praise in the world, I wish that I could have owned an AMG at 19 yrs old. But I'm glad that your showing the W211 E55 and E63 some much needed love.
Typically guys your age, are into muscle cars or Japanese imports not German luxury/performance cars.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Congrats on the new whip! It really is a fun to own car! There are a few things to note:

This car eats tires like a fat kid alone with a sheet cake! I have an 04 E55 riding on 19's. I go through rear tires roughly every 8-10k miles and fronts about every 15-20k despite the fact that most of where I drive is 25mph speed limit and I don't drive crazy. For the last 2 sets, I fought and got the tires covered under the manufacturers warranty so I paid less for replacements but still...It just a hassle. I have gone through bridgestones, continentals, nitto's, etc...don't matter. It just is what it is. Expect to spend about 250 per tire for the rears and about 225 per tire for the fronts. Look for a tire with the highest mileage warranty (then cut that warranty in half because its a staggared fitment and can't rotate front to back). When the tires wear out, you should get a prorated credit towards the purchase of new tires if you fight it out right.

Also FYI, since you counted the cost for brakes, be advised that you should flush the brakes on this car about every 2 years. Unfortunately, as stupid as it sounds, that has to be done by a shop with the STAR system to connect to the SBC system rather than your manual "pump the pedal" method. That costs about 150 bucks at an indy shop.

Most other things you can do yourself if you are handy and/or can pay close attention to youtube videos. I rarely take my car into the shop and do most of my own work too. TIP* I buy parts now mostly from fcpeuro.com. They are not always the cheapest but sell mostly OEM they have lifetime replacement warranty on EVERYTHING, even stuff like oil filters, brakes, etc. No joke. So buy one oil filter, and in truth you get the rest free for life! I recently bought a transmission conductor plate and trans connector to replace...broke the little screw on the connector when installing. Called them up, told them what happened and they even warrantied that. So got a new set even though I was the idiot that over-tightened during install.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2008 BMW M5, 2004 E55 AMG (RIP)
+1 on buying from FCP Euro, the warranty from those guy’s is awesome