W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching CGW; What can and will happen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 AM

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 E55
Switching CGW; What can and will happen?

So prior to installing facelift mirrors and switch with folding option, a member mentioned getting another CGW in order for folding mirrors to work. So it got me thinking (after I found out what CGW stood for) about getting one and started googling and found a bunch affordable used ones on Ebay. Without further research I placed an order for a CGW off of a 2007 CLS 63. Afterwards, I googled and found out I need to program it before installing to my 06 E55.

So now I have a CGW but don’t really need it to fold my new mirrors cause mirrors folds just fine without needing programming. I’m wondering what will and can happen if I switch CGW?

Please advise “The how to” so I don’t make a crucial mistake. I’m still searching ways for new mirrors to fold when locking and unlocking. I don’t have that option in my “convenience” program.

Also, my cooling & heated seats hasn’t worked for over 8 years and dynamic seat pump just started to work for a day and crashed again, I found a leak on air hose in back of driver’s seat, leak is fix but pump won’t start; would these problems be fixed thtough CGW?

I don’t have SDS and really thinking of getting one.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 970 Likes on 754 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
You really, really need a STAR diagnostic system for your car. The W211 only uses one CGW (take a look at HO 219 Networking, slide 4, N93). If you switch the CGW, you first need to use STAR to pull the version coding and maintenance information out of the old CGW, you then install the replacement CGW and upload the old data to the CGW. Note: do NOT attempt to just "initialize" the CGW without backup data. That requires connection to the Mercedes factory server which requires a dealer account. No dealer account, no data, bricked car that now must be towed to the dealer so they can perform an initialization.

Check PM but you want a STAR system that has the "simulation" software on it; that way you can "walk-through" the procedure before you perform the action with the "real" software.

The sticky for "STAR diagnostic DIY..." is rather haphazard but has genuine nuggets of information. Any post by Mackhack is a must-read; he knows his stuff and I make it a point to read his posts.
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
1. You don't need another CGW to get folding mirrors to work. Just need to code CGW and IC and maybe the door control module (can't remember 100% now)
2. You definitely need access to STAR if you attempt either of these, (replacement of CGW or folding mirrors).
3. Mackhack is a great guy and knows his stuff.
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (01-28-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by turbo97se
1. You don't need another CGW to get folding mirrors to work. Just need to code CGW and IC and maybe the door control module (can't remember 100% now)
2. You definitely need access to STAR if you attempt either of these, (replacement of CGW or folding mirrors).
3. Mackhack is a great guy and knows his stuff.
thanks, Mackhack offer to help but he's 100 miles away. I want to fix my dynamic seat, wondering if I should replace pump or is it fixable through CGW?