Sponsored by:

Brand Valve Cover Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Brand Valve Cover Gaskets?

Prior to purchasing my 2005 in October of last year at 69k miles, I had the shop who performed a PPI do valve cover gaskets as part of the deal. I’m now at 76k and notice a substantial leak coming from my passenger’s side valve cover. You can see it on the very corner near the firewall, drops of oil after every drive.

I figure they probably didn’t even do them since I don’t have a hard confirmation of it, however I would like to know if anyone has had any issues with brand names. There are 3 different choices listed on FCPEuro and I’m wondering what the consensus is. Otherwise I’ll just pick some up at the stealer tomorrow for convenience.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Buy genuine Mercedes ones. There were some issues with Victor Reinz ones leaking a few years ago. The genuine ones are pretty cheap, I am sure the aftermarket ones are ok now but it's not worth the risk for a few $.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2
Buy genuine Mercedes ones. There were some issues with Victor Reinz ones leaking a few years ago. The genuine ones are pretty cheap, I am sure the aftermarket ones are ok now but it's not worth the risk for a few $.
Cool, thanks for the response! Genuine it is.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09 E63
I picked up the Elring sets from FCP as they include the O-rings for the spark plug tubes; while the MB sets do not. I've heard good things about the Elring ones. Haven't installed yet though.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
Originally Posted by anomadtoo
I picked up the Elring sets from FCP as they include the O-rings for the spark plug tubes; while the MB sets do not. I've heard good things about the Elring ones. Haven't installed yet though.
Assuming the OP is talking about a 2005 W211 AMG (ie E55), he does not have/need o-rings for any spark plug tubes (you are talking about a different engine).

As everyone else has already said, your best bet is dealer parts. They're not much more expensive than aftermarket, in most cases, and the quality is generally much better (and consistent).

While you have the valve covers off, be sure to re-seal the breather covers. Even if they're not leaking right now, they probably will in the future. In a pinch, you can get by with a high quality RTV silicone like Permatex "Right Stuff", but your best bet is the dealer sealant. It might be a little more expensive, but it works very well. (Note: the little breather cover bolts break VERY easily so be sure not to over-torque them.)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 PM

09 E63
Originally Posted by sjc246
Assuming the OP is talking about a 2005 W211 AMG (ie E55), he does not have/need o-rings for any spark plug tubes (you are talking about a different engine).

As everyone else has already said, your best bet is dealer parts. They're not much more expensive than aftermarket, in most cases, and the quality is generally much better (and consistent).

While you have the valve covers off, be sure to re-seal the breather covers. Even if they're not leaking right now, they probably will in the future. In a pinch, you can get by with a high quality RTV silicone like Permatex "Right Stuff", but your best bet is the dealer sealant. It might be a little more expensive, but it works very well. (Note: the little breather cover bolts break VERY easily so be sure not to over-torque them.)
ah true, I wasn’t thinking about the specific car just w211 AMG; I have an E63. My fault.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2008 BMW M5, 2004 E55 AMG (RIP)
I did the Victor Reinz ones (probably spelled that wrong) off FCP along with the non-mb rtv sealent off FCP. I’ve had no problems in the past 10k miles, I think the problems with the after market gaskets come when people don’t bother to unravel them and flatten them out. The aftermarket ones come bunched up in small bags where as the Mercedes ones are flattened out in a long bag. It’s easier to use the Mercedes ones, but aftermarket work just fine imo as long as you take the time to install them correctly. I also doubt there’s a huge difference between RTV sealants for the breather chambers. You won’t go wrong with the dealership stuff of course but in my experience there’s no point. As I said it’s been 10k miles and there’s not a drop of oil leaking from either the valve covers or breather chambers. I do however second the notion about the breather chamber bolts being very easy to over torque, you have to be very careful with them. If you strip it, I’m not sure how you would even go about removing it.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 PM

09 E63
I’ll throw in my data point for my E63: the genuine MB gaskets I originally got were actually worse packaging wise as they were folded over twice in original packaging and MB label holding the fold. My Elring set received the other week is in half once but solid bottom and shrink wrapped.