W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

World Premiere of the New BMW M5’s Drive System. (pretty intresting)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2004 | 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I cannot believe no more true manual. That is what gave M Power the edge. Now AMG might just be on top. Wow.

I agree, and I think SMG is pretty lame. It basically has an identical user interface as an automatic transmission but its really a hydraulically activated manual.... who cares! The AMG cars have the same user interface (manual mode) as the M cars and has completely jerk free acceleration, while the M5 owners will have the same thing but their heads will be tossing back and forth through the gears.

Imo, SMG I, II or whatever is just an overly complicated automatic that is no where as smooth as real manual or real automatic.
Old 07-04-2004 | 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But it is also the SMG which brought the sales up for M cars. It means that even old grannies can sit in an M3 SMG and drive it around town (I saw one the other day), the SMG is a marketing thing
Old 07-04-2004 | 06:19 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by AlBoston
I agree, and I think SMG is pretty lame. It basically has an identical user interface as an automatic transmission but its really a hydraulically activated manual.... who cares! The AMG cars have the same user interface (manual mode) as the M cars and has completely jerk free acceleration, while the M5 owners will have the same thing but their heads will be tossing back and forth through the gears.

Imo, SMG I, II or whatever is just an overly complicated automatic that is no where as smooth as real manual or real automatic.
SMG is not an automatic transmission. It simply removed the clutch pedal and has clutch electronically controlled by hydraulics.

It's only jerky in automatic mode, because like a manual, if you don't time the gas input well, this will happen.

This has nothing in common with manumatic transmission. In manual mode for automatic, you are simply holding the gear. It's still a true automatic underneath. Although smoother in automatic mode, you still have quiet a bit of power loss and more response time lack.

SMG driven in manual mode with a good driver it faster to respond to driver input and smooth. It's all driver skill related.