Sponsored by:

Key not Recognized

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Key not Recognized

FWIW. I went out to my 05 E55 today and the door wouldn't recognize my key. I had noticed that it was acting like the batteries in the fob were going bad so I changed them out...no go. I got the other key and it was same deal. Changed the batteies in that one, and nothing. Opened the door with the key and inserted the Smart Key into the ignition and it started right up. Let it warm up and then shut it down and removed the key and tried to start it with the start button. I get the message "Key not Recognized". **** me! I'm trying to rebuild a master bath along with ten other projects and I don't need this crap. I go get the other key and same deal. Started it with key in the ignition and I get the battery symbol and then the "Visit Workshop" or whatever. Back into the house and I do a quick forum search and I'm not finding anything encouraging. Clock is ticking so I decide to check the voltage on the auxiliary battery. After 5 or so trips to the shed I've got a pile of tools but I can't remember how to remove the A/C filter housing. The last time that I had it off was 5 or so years ago when I last changed the aux battery and I remember it was pretty simple but its fighting me now. Anyway, after some sailor talk I figured it out and put the tester on the aux battery and initially got 10.3 volts but then it jumped up to 12.3. I tried to run a load test on it but it would immediately drop to zero v. Doesnt look right so off to NAPA. It will be 2 days before they can get it so I carry it back to the car (not the AMG) and as Im driving away I see a Batteries Plus store so I stop and they have the same battery that I removed for $95. I ask him to test my old battery and he fights to get a consistent voltage reading. Thats good enough for me so I buy the new battery, take it home. 5 minutes later the battery is in, the key is recognized, and all is good again. I did however go back out with the second key and nothing happens. Could be that the new batteries are bad or maybe I installed them wrong. I'm still pretty stoked!
Old 03-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well hold off on the bath as if you are correct in reporting sounds like a bad ignition module--thats about a grand!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55, 2005 E55 AMG
I Had the same thing happen to me I had it bad key, I order a new key from the dealer all good
Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Thanks. It turns out that I have a bad key also. You should be able to see a light on the fob when you press any of the buttons. The fob that I always use does not light up, but the other one does which tells you that it's a fob problem and not a car issue. The batteries are new and have good voltage. That works for me.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Keep us posted on this please, mine does the same thing.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:21 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Will do. I'm trying to source a new fob w/o going thru the stealership. My local locksmith says he can't help so I may give fleabay a shot.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by 5spd97
Will do. I'm trying to source a new fob w/o going thru the stealership. My local locksmith says he can't help so I may give fleabay a shot.
Keys are dealer only. Expect to spend at least a few hundred for a new one.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:08 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Strigoi
Keys are dealer only. Expect to spend at least a few hundred for a new one.
So i drove over to the stealership today to see about getting a replacement Smart Key. For some reason the service writers handle this rather than the parts guy. She starts off telling me that she just did thus for another customer and the price is between $400-800 including programming by the dealership. She said that they come from Dallas/Ft Worth and then are programmed by the dealership. I start showing her how the light wont come on on my bad fob, and it comes on. She says she will call and get a firm price and I walk out to the car to see if the key is now working. It unlocks the door keylessly but wont start the car. I put it in the ignition and start it and let it run for 30 seconds or so, shut it off and remove the key, put my foot on the brake and hit the start button, and all is good.

Back inside where she tells me that it will be about $400 including programming buuuuuuuuuut........wait for it...wait for it........the keyless go functions will not work because Mercedes no longer supports the older keyless go system. So I say, "you mean that my door lock, unlock, seat and mirror programming, and keyless start will not function with my new key." She said yes, but you can open your door with the key blade and start the car by putting the key in the ignition.

Anyway I'm going to order a new key case off ebay because the buttons are cracked on the one thats giving me trouble, and transfer the circuit board.

It might be time to start thinking about selling the car because I just dont drive it much anymore.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Not sure where you are but by law they're required to have parts for 10 years! Second choice is another dealer. Third a lot of locksmiths that to Auto locks sell them for way less, I'm in Dallas and see them driving around in cans all the time. Good thing about that is they do it on the spot and you can make sure it works vs off online and who knows?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Cone to think of it, I saw a sign at Home Depot that they have smart keys for cars, check it out.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Thanks but I started at a locksmith and he directed me to Mercedes. I then got on the net and spent hours trying to wade through all of the erroneous info and finally found a thread by a knowledgeable guy who basically said only through Mercedes. On top of that I found another thread with a bunch of sad stories from guys with no keys who couldnt get help even from Mercedes because they no longer support the older Smart keys. My car is 14 yrs old so the 10 year deal is a moot point. I found exactly zero stories from people who had successfully bought keys other than from a dealership.

As a side note, this type of thing will just about kill the collector car market as time goes on. The hardware and software for cars changes so rapidly that manufacturers wont even attempt to support older vehicles and thats already happening.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55, 2005 E55 AMG
Where are located
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by 5spd97

As a side note, this type of thing will just about kill the collector car market as time goes on. The hardware and software for cars changes so rapidly that manufacturers wont even attempt to support older vehicles and thats already happening.
To add to that, there is only a finite amount of keys available for any (newer) MB vehicle. Once that number is hit you have to replace other things. There's a lot more to it, but that's enough info if you want to start doing some research.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
That sucks! Hopefully someone will be smart enough to figure a way around it all.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM

2005 E55 AMG
The only reason that I started this thread is so that other people could benefit from my experience. The takeaway should be that getting a replacement smart key for a Mercedes with enabled keyless go functions is neither simple nor inexpensive, and may be impossible.

Also, don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming Mercedes, this is just the new reality of the world we live in. When vehicles cost as much as they do, it should be extremely difficult to get keys for it, otherwise a towtruck and an unscrupulous locksmith would be the ticket to easy money.

I have ordered a new key shell from Amazon because the buttons are cracked and I will attempt to transfer the circuit board from the old fob to the new one. I'll post on how that goes.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Strigoi
To add to that, there is only a finite amount of keys available for any (newer) MB vehicle. Once that number is hit you have to replace other things. There's a lot more to it, but that's enough info if you want to start doing some research.
Thanks, but I'm confused enough as it is, lol.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:33 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I got the replacement fob case from Amazon for $7 and switched the guts. Everything seems to work fine.

Also replaced the main trunk mounted car battery as mine was over seven years old and would no longer hold voltage. Hopefully I can go on to other stuff now.