Sponsored by:

Cracked Another Manifold (header) At The Flange Why Does This Keep Happening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211 E500
Cracked Another Manifold (header) At The Flange Why Does This Keep Happening

I have a 2005 E55 that I am trying to sell but want to fix this issue first. I am on my second set of stock manifolds (headers) and the driver side already broke at the flange. I just put on a new set of motor mounts so that can’t be the problem? I have an X pipe with secondary cats delete as well as resonator delete. Am I doing something wrong? What could be causing this to happen? Thank you!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 82 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
Originally Posted by sidewayzgt
I have a 2005 E55 that I am trying to sell but want to fix this issue first. I am on my second set of stock manifolds (headers) and the driver side already broke at the flange. I just put on a new set of motor mounts so that can’t be the problem? I have an X pipe with secondary cats delete as well as resonator delete. Am I doing something wrong? What could be causing this to happen? Thank you!
I had a couple of cracked ones aswell they never totally failed though. I just tig welded them up.

I would say its got more to do with how hot everything is getting. You should just get some decent flowing headers. Less restriction and less heat and pressure building up back into your motor.
Also the entire stock system doesnt have that much allowance for heat movement imo. Each connector is like a ball and socket so they can move but nothing like a proper flexi joint.

Last edited by austingtir; 03-11-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Hey brother i have a set of stock manifolds both are in amazing shape just taking up space if interested just dm me an we can work something out if u want em.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:14 PM

2003 W211 E500
After just replacing my manifolds with stock I am not sure that I want to go stock in fear that this might happen again. I really want to go with a shorty header that is similar to stock and will bolt to the setup that I have (stock manifolds connected to 2 cats connected to x pipe with resonater delete) and mufflers of course. I want to keep the cats because of California emissions.

The headers that I have seen are ridiculously priced for this car! Is there an inexpensive way to do this with a higher flowing stocking header?

Originally Posted by austingtir
I had a couple of cracked ones aswell they never totally failed though. I just tig welded them up.

I would say its got more to do with how hot everything is getting. You should just get some decent flowing headers. Less restriction and less heat and pressure building up back into your motor.
Also the entire stock system doesnt have that much allowance for heat movement imo. Each connector is like a ball and socket so they can move but nothing like a proper flexi joint.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1999 e55 (past), 2002 CLK55 (past), 2004 E55 (present), 2008 Z06
After just replacing my manifolds with stock I am not sure that I want to go stock in fear that this might happen again. I really want to go with a shorty header that is similar to stock and will bolt to the setup that I have (stock manifolds connected to 2 cats connected to x pipe with resonater delete) and mufflers of course. I want to keep the cats because of California emissions.

The headers that I have seen are ridiculously priced for this car! Is there an inexpensive way to do this with a higher flowing stocking header?
First. This sucks. Second, please keep us updated if you find a solution. I'm sort of in the same boat. Stock 04 with one cracked manifold, but I'm on the eye out for a set of Kleemans. Rather dump the money into those than $400 (what I've been quoted) to replace the stock manifold.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:53 PM

2003 W211 E500
Kleemans are pretty expensive as well. What I do not understand is why you can pick up a set of E500 headers for $400 new and E55’s are 4 times that for a very similar design. There has to be an alternative.

Originally Posted by jordanst2
First. This sucks. Second, please keep us updated if you find a solution. I'm sort of in the same boat. Stock 04 with one cracked manifold, but I'm on the eye out for a set of Kleemans. Rather dump the money into those than $400 (what I've been quoted) to replace the stock manifold.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 ML350, 2005 C55, 2004 E55
Kleemans are pretty expensive as well. What I do not understand is why you can pick up a set of E500 headers for $400 new and E55’s are 4 times that for a very similar design. There has to be an alternative.
Times have changed, Eurocharged wants $550 for mid-length kleeman copies, sales are frequent around Christmas time. XS power will sell you a set of long tubes for $700 shipped.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:06 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
check your engine mounts