Sorry Guys!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by absent
What? Too powerfull for you??
To a degree. I just feel that that amount of power is out of porportion with the car in question. I don't like how they stick a 55 motor in every one of their models and tag on the AMG badge. To me, that just degrades the image of AMG.

I also question some of their logic in some AMG models, eg:
S55 AMG: last thing i need is a 60 year old rear ending me in one of these because he sneezed.
ML55 AMG: ... wtf were they thinking. you're gonna drag race an SUV now...? ummm great.
SL55 AMG: that much power in a 4500ish pound car... you know something's definately wrong when the tires limit your top speed.

To me, it seems that Benz is just building these models for the sake of saying "we have the most powerful x car on the market" instead of actually building a beautifully balanced performance car, which is what i think the big 3 (Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Audi S) are suppose to do.

All three seems to have lost sight of what they're suppose to do, but I believe Mercedes has really lost it. BMW seems to be at least ahereing to tradition. I appuld them for not building an M7 or an X5 M, as those two models do not deserve a motorsport badge.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the E55, the CLK55, the SLK32, and the C32 to be great cars. My quarrel is not specfically aimed at them, it's at AMG overall. They are the models that i believe truly deserve the AMG badge. I would definately love to own one of these, but would I BUY it if I had the chance?

probably not.

They're not very well suited towards my style of driving. I derive a lot more fun from cars when the engine is the limiting factor, not the suspension, the tires, or the brakes. --yes, i admit, i'm a huge honda s2000 fan :p

I live pretty much at the base of a mountain range (about an hour away from lake tahoe/reno) and to me, driving around in there would seem a lot more fun in a honda s2k, where i would downshift to enter a uphill curve, hitting redline just a bit after the apex, and pulling into the next gear for the upcoming straight, instead of say in an S55, where i would just keep 5 gear through the curve and floor it in the straight.

I hope you guys can understand where I'm coming from.
I welcome further discussion into this, if we can keep it to a civilized manner.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Well, maybe for you, but AMG cars fufill their mission. That being an effortless rush of power in an ultra-luxury car body.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by makken
To a degree. I just feel that that amount of power is out of porportion with the car in question. I don't like how they stick a 55 motor in every one of their models and tag on the AMG badge. To me, that just degrades the image of AMG.

S55 AMG: last thing i need is a 60 year old rear ending me in one of these because he sneezed.
ML55 AMG: ... wtf were they thinking. you're gonna drag race an SUV now...? ummm great.
SL55 AMG: that much power in a 4500ish pound car... you know something's definately wrong when the tires limit your top speed.

To me, it seems that Benz is just building these models for the sake of saying "we have the most powerful x car on the market" instead of actually building a beautifully balanced performance car, which is what i think the big 3 (Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Audi S) are suppose to do.

All three seems to have lost sight of what they're suppose to do, but I believe Mercedes has really lost it. BMW seems to be at least ahereing to tradition. I appuld them for not building an M7 or an X5 M, as those two models do not deserve a motorsport badge.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the E55, the CLK55, the SLK32, and the C32 to be great cars. My quarrel is not specfically aimed at them, it's at AMG overall. They are the models that i believe truly deserve the AMG badge. I would definately love to own one of these, but would I BUY it if I had the chance?

probably not.

They're not very well suited towards my style of driving. I derive a lot more fun from cars when the engine is the limiting factor, not the suspension, the tires, or the brakes. --yes, i admit, i'm a huge honda s2000 fan :p

I live pretty much at the base of a mountain range (about an hour away from lake tahoe/reno) and to me, driving around in there would seem a lot more fun in a honda s2k, where i would downshift to enter a uphill curve, hitting redline just a bit after the apex, and pulling into the next gear for the upcoming straight, instead of say in an S55, where i would just keep 5 gear through the curve and floor it in the straight.

I welcome further discussion into this, if we can keep it to a civilized manner.
I dont get people like you, why waste your time here explaining us why and how you dont like AMG Cars, when we are driving them every day, we like it, and we will not change our taste or cars. Why dont you go bother somebody else ? Or open a board like WWW.IDONTLIKEAMG.com and post there as much as you want lol.....TROLL
Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 AM

E500
calling our cars was bad enough, but calling americans scum,that was it for me, we do not need imature a-holes like this on on our respectable forum.
"go back to your wet dreams on M5s"
Old 06-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Jon200

The new generation of AMG engines are revolutionary and the best in the FI world
name some FI motors that are in direct competition to the AMG motors, because i sure can't think of any off the top of my head.

thus far, they have been compared to mainly N/A motors. If the AMG motors were N/A, then yes, they would be quite impressive, but by going the forced induction route, AMG has entered a new league, full of 4 digit horsepower ratings from R34's, Supra's, heck, even BMW made a inline 4 cyclinder turbo that produced 1000+ hp back in the 1980's.

with that being said, i still believe that BMW builds the best production engines in the world, followed closely by Honda.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
what an idiot
Old 06-28-2004, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
name some FI motors that are in direct competition to the AMG motors, because i sure can't think of any off the top of my head.

thus far, they have been compared to mainly N/A motors. If the AMG motors were N/A, then yes, they would be quite impressive, but by going the forced induction route, AMG has entered a new league, full of 4 digit horsepower ratings from R34's, Supra's, heck, even BMW made a inline 4 cyclinder turbo that produced 1000+ hp back in the 1980's.

with that being said, i still believe that BMW builds the best production engines in the world, followed closely by Honda.

Yes bmw are awesome cars....BUT.... TOO BAD THEY ARE FREAKING UGLY!!!

and now its time to LEAVE THIS BOARD YOUU DAMN TROLL!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by BoBcanada
I dont get people like you, why waste your time here explaining us why and how you dont like AMG Cars, when we are driving them every day, we like it, and we will not change our taste or cars. Why dont you go bother somebody else ? Or open a board like WWW.IDONTLIKEAMG.com and post there as much as you want lol.....TROLL
I don't get people like you. I love cars in general, I have no loyality or hatred towards a specific band or company. If you love your car so much, then go out and drive it. I know if i had a honda s2000, i wouldn't be on www.s2ki.com post how it "owns" ever other convertible out there, I would be out in the twisty section of fair oaks blvd enjoying myself with the lovely summer weather. Then when i finally run out of gas, i would get home and jump on www.s2ki.com discussing it's strength and weaknesses aganist say an E36 M3.

Besides, isn't that the whole point of a forum? To discuss?

And yes, this is a Mercedes board, which is why i havent posted my comparison between the M3 and the S2000. I came here to discuss and learn more about mercedes cars. What better resource to learn from than the owners themselves?

Last edited by makken; 06-28-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Yes bmw are awesome cars....BUT.... TOO BAD THEY ARE FREAKING UGLY!!!

and now its time to LEAVE THIS BOARD YOUU DAMN TROLL!
Yes, they are damn ugly, especially the Z4 and the 7.
The 5 has problems, although to a lesser degree. The 6 has some beauty in it, but can definately use some touchup.

Mercedes definately has the "graceful" lines down, but they seem to lack a certain passion. I'll see a benz on the road, and admire it's streamline beauty, how everything flows together, but beyond that, they don't seem to stir much emotion. They lack aggressiveness.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Yes, they are damn ugly, especially the Z4 and the 7.
The 5 has problems, although to a lesser degree. The 6 has some beauty in it, but can definately use some touchup.

Mercedes definately has the "graceful" lines down, but they seem to lack a certain passion. I'll see a benz on the road, and admire it's streamline beauty, how everything flows together, but beyond that, they don't seem to stir much emotion. They lack aggressiveness.

DUDE Benzes are elegant cars, who said they should be agressive? I think there's enogh agressive bimmers and civics for that purpose, And about 5 series it's ugly inside outside, OUtsie kinda grows on me, but inside is too ugly.... i agree it drives and corners better then benz, but as someone said when the last time you pushed your car to the limits of admiring their cornering ability or other aspects of a car when you drive to the work and back?

anyway YOU cannot compare benz to bmw they follow different purposes!

won't you agree mr.smart ***?

Last edited by BoBcanada; 06-28-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Almost a Member!

DUDE Benzes are elegant cars, who said they should be agressive? I think there's enogh agressive bimmers and civics for that purpose, And about 5 series it's ugly inside outside, OUtsie kinda grows on me, but inside is too ugly.... i agree it drives and corners better then benz, but as someone said when the last time you pushed your car to the limits of admiring their cornering ability or other aspects of a car when you drive to the work and back?

anyway YOU cannot compare benz to bmw they follow different purposes!

won't you agree mr.smart ***?
Aggressive civics. there's an oxymoron if i ever heard of one :p
The front does grow on me, but i can never get used to the back. I actually like the interior overall. the center and steering wheel needs to be replaced, but everything else seems fine. I definately love how smooth the throws were on the six speed (sat in one in the BMW dealership waiting for the parts department to open one day).

You don't have to be at the absolute limits to love the corning ability of a car, and besides, how often do you push that 5.5L V8 to the limits during everyday driving?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

You don't have to be at the absolute limits to love the corning ability of a car, and besides, how often do you push that 5.5L V8 to the limits during everyday driving?
To tell you the truth, I push that 5.5L V8 quite 3 to 5 times a day.

so?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Almost a Member!

wow. lots of highway commute?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

Lucky you,to live in an area straight from a BMW commercial.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
wow. lots of highway commute?

In the city too, i like to feel the power of the engine! Otherwise i'd buy ml320 lol
Old 06-28-2004, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
if we wanted something a little more sporty and agressive, we would have went with a bmw. However, most states require that you have fairly good vision, and therein lies the problem: anyone that can actually see the car will be frightened. Attack of the overgrown alien bulgingass insects. Tradition? What tradition? As you stated, they have potential. Too bad we dont have photoshop for real life.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly what CAR magazine said in the PCOTY shootout last time I read it a while back. Thing is though some people love the "in your face power" and that's what sells because that's what feels good. Most of the guys who buys M5's and E55's aren't going to take it to the track and go down to the twisties because they'd probably have some sort of Porsche or Ferrari or other *real* track car to do that. They buy the sedans because it has mad power and it's instant. I love the S2000, but I hated how I had to wait for all the power to spool up

Well the S55 is the hot rod of the family. Everyone who's a car enthusiast that's over the hill and can afford it needs one of these. Who said your wife couldn't look hot while driving ML55 and G55.. okay I agree. Who goes around picking on other X5 4.6/4.8's

SL55 is beautiful. Theres nothing wrong when tires limit your top speed, unless its the tires themselves! Remember, it did get a quicker time on the ring when compared to the Z8.

I'm going to have to agree with you here to an extent. It's always about being able to say "we have the most powerful x car on the market" otherwise what's the point? No one wants to drive a car that's slower then it's predesecor (sp?) or competitor.

Umm.. The X5 4.6/4.8's were pretty much as close to MSport as you could get.

probably not.

Yeah, I'm broke too. :p

I think a lot of us here are S2000 fans, great little cars that are the closest things to sportbikes on four wheels!

I envy you.

Sure, I'll keep it up. The question is, can the rest of us?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:33 PM

C32AMG
Your apology.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Exactly what CAR magazine said in the PCOTY shootout last time I read it a while back. Thing is though some people love the "in your face power" and that's what sells because that's what feels good. Most of the guys who buys M5's and E55's aren't going to take it to the track and go down to the twisties because they'd probably have some sort of Porsche or Ferrari or other *real* track car to do that. They buy the sedans because it has mad power and it's instant. I love the S2000, but I hated how I had to wait for all the power to spool up
never read CAR magazine... but a lot of M5 owners I know/talk to don't have such a second car. Most M5 owners are people who saved up a little more, skimmed on some other luxuries, to be able to just swing off an M5 instead of say a 540i 6speed, many of them dont' have a second ferrari or porsche. I admit, a majority of M5's dont' see track time, but a lot of the owners i talk to on forums do take their cars to a roadcourse once in a while.

Well the S55 is the hot rod of the family. Everyone who's a car enthusiast that's over the hill and can afford it needs one of these. Who said your wife couldn't look hot while driving ML55 and G55.. okay I agree. Who goes around picking on other X5 4.6/4.8's

SL55 is beautiful. Theres nothing wrong when tires limit your top speed, unless its the tires themselves! Remember, it did get a quicker time on the ring when compared to the Z8.
The S55, i believe is just too big of a car, and too dedicated to luxury to make it truly sporty, i have the same view towards it as the 7 series. If you ask me, an S550 Guard makes more sense than a S55 AMG. The Guard would be used to drive around celeberities, unpopular dictators, mafia members, you name it, and it would have enough power to get away should it get into a chase.

Yes, the X5 4.8is/4.6is is basically an M X5, but the point is that they didn't put the M badge on it. They didn't degrade the M brand by having an SUV in its line. It's kind of like porsche releasing an SUV (blah they did). Many of us dont' look at porsche the same way again after the release of the cyannane. I believe Mercedes should have just named their AMG SUV's ML550 or G550, instead of adding an AMG tag to the end.

The SL55 is beautiful to look at, but every time i see it, I can't help but wish it was 1000 pounds lighter. I would love to see an SL55 own a 360 Modena around a track. With the SL55, i just see the potiential for so much more IF the car was lighter, IF it didn't have that hardtop, IF it had a 6spd tranny, etc. And that really hurts. I look at the 360 or the Z8, and yes, i do see potiential for a little more, but no where near the extent of the SL55.
ps. I want to see an SL55 AMG CSL =)

I'm going to have to agree with you here to an extent. It's always about being able to say "we have the most powerful x car on the market" otherwise what's the point? No one wants to drive a car that's slower then it's predesecor (sp?) or competitor.
Power comes third to speed and weight in my book.
I would be much more impressed if someone said "my car can lap nurburgring in under 8 minutes" than if someone said "my car produces 600 horsepower"
case in point: a lotus elise produces *only* 200ish horspower, yet they consistantly own cars in almost all performance catorgies with two times the power.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Real life does not resemble Nurburgring,in daily life great passing ability counts more then 2 seconds on the track.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by absent
Real life does not resemble Nurburgring,in daily life great passing ability counts more then 2 seconds on the track.
really depends on how you pass. a faster track car would be able to quick switch into the left lane between two cars, and have the engine at the right speed to immediately start putting power down so you won't get rear ended by the car behind (how i usually pass)

sometimes i also wait for a sharp bend to come up so he hit the brakes a bit, i would swing into the inside lane and pass him that way.

but yes, on open roads, the passing ability of the AMGs are unsurpassed :p
however, when i do feel the need to pass, i'm often times not offered an open road (i pass because there are slow cars blocking my way, not because i have an open road)
Old 06-29-2004, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
Everyone loves S2ks. A car that can do something it was designed very well. Even though it fishtails freakishly or you just have to rev that engine a bit to get it moving it still is good. Excellent transmission.
Now a Mercedes AMG, just the presence, the comfort, power, etc. appeals to many also.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:09 PM

2003 E320
I don't get people like you. I love cars in general, I have no loyality or hatred towards a specific band or company. If you love your car so much, then go out and drive it. I know if i had a honda s2000, i wouldn't be on www.s2ki.com post how it "owns" ever other convertible out there, I would be out in the twisty section of fair oaks blvd enjoying myself with the lovely summer weather. Then when i finally run out of gas, i would get home and jump on www.s2ki.com discussing it's strength and weaknesses aganist say an E36 M3.

Besides, isn't that the whole point of a forum? To discuss?

And yes, this is a Mercedes board, which is why i havent posted my comparison between the M3 and the S2000. I came here to discuss and learn more about mercedes cars. What better resource to learn from than the owners themselves?
so if you want to discuss your honda feelings go to boxter's board and share your thoughts with those people. MB is not a race car, it's a luxury car with big *****.....you know what....I'm gonna go to Peterbuild's board and complain how their tractors suck, because they don't take corners that well. WRONG BOARD PAL!!!!!!
Anyway, this board was designed for owners not mag readers - got lost or something?