Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airmatic long term

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Fern Green Pontiac Aztek
fwiw- I was talking to my tech about this recently and he said he's seen 'em last to 200k miles before
The following 2 users liked this post by JB88:
Cj0311 (04-23-2019), failboat (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
none yet
Originally Posted by cfmistry
Actually I’m sorry to say all of them WILL fail. It’s great that you’ve made it to 100k miles, but you are the exception not the norm. I am not sure if you purchased the car new but it could be that a previous owner has dealt with some Airmatic headaches. My car was an absolute cream puff, 7th car for the original owner (who I bought it from), dealer over-maintained. Everything ever suggested was done. She still replaced the compressor twice and I had a shock let go at 60k miles. I am amazed that your Airmatic setup made it to 100k without issues.

That being said, I love the system and will continue to replace it.
i agree they will fail..lots of parts eventually fail on cars. but how am i an exception? do you understand how many cars were produced that use the airmatic system? and your telling me its an exception to make it to a measly 100K miles? as previously stated instances of failure are more pronounced online because that is what people search for. while you should tread carefully OP, understand that failure is not guaranteed as early as people make it out to be
Old 05-01-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 -05
I have a 400000km or 250k miles E55-05 wagon that has spent the last 10 years of it's life in sweden where we have bad roads which also are heavily salted atleast 5months per year.

I had a slow leak on one rear bag last year so I replaced them as a pair, they both had markings indicating they were the original from -05.
2 years ago I removed and welded on new hose fittings on the 2 aluminium tanks for the rear bags which had pinhole leaks from corrosion.
Rear shocks are bone dry and works good, I think the rust will kill them first, they are not a pretty sight down around the valve.

1 compressor replaced 3 years ago, I think it was due to the line from the suction filter was torn off so it sucked in dirt and water with the air. Also had a sticker saying -05 on it.

Now both front struts have bad upper shock bushings inside, no air or oil leaks however but an annoying clunk on each bump which drives me mad.

Over all I'm very impressed with the system.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2004 E55 AMG / 2019 Audi Q7
Gotta update my response - finally got under my car for the first time and I’ve got an Arnott in the left front