Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at an e55 help :)

Old 04-20-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing!
Looking at an e55 help :)

Hi,

Long time lurker and a driveway mechanic - will be checking out a 2005 e55 tomorrow and currently listed as a $1 reserve auction with no paperwork. I know my way around a car and don't mind working away on it.

Vehicle described as:

I have gone back to my country so I need to sell this car. This E55 AMG is modified to stage 2, now produce 595 bph, runs super fast and sounds super loud. But the car has some issues, the ESP and ABS systems are defective, and the car is now running on C63 tyres. If you have any questions, leave a comment or text me at any time, my friend Mark knows the car well and is pleased to answer your questions.

Anyways - I've tried researching this ESP/ABS issue and could be as simple as a brake pedal switch or a completely munted ABS module? Anyone got any ideas on things I could check when viewing it to determine issue better, could it be the c63 alloys? No supporting documentation which doesn't help but means I should be able to pick it up cheap.

Also what to look for in relation to upgrades for this 'stage 2' - owner gone overseas and friend selling car simply says he purchased it with upgrades but cant be specific.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
Stage 2 should be a pulley on the supercharger or crank. Probably supercharger. You should see some form of stainless sleep manifold and also check for a new heat exchanger down below in front of the radiator. I tried to find the car your talking about on trademe/autotrader but couldnt see it.

What size are the tyres on the back? I wouldnt have thought theyd be causing any problems with abs/esp your probably looking at a switch sensor or module like you said but I dont know about that **** never had problems with it. I change my 18s and 19s and have run mismatched pairs back and front (19s and 18s) but I keep the outer diameter of the wheel the same so..
Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
2006 E55
Maybe a simple speed sensor or two or four? That would be easy!
Old 04-21-2019, 02:13 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...b832b8f1f5-001

Run away, it doesn't look well cared for. If you have experience with MB and own some sort of STAR clone then ignore the following otherwise: some of these things can be simple, some can require thousands in hard to get parts only available through the dealer. At the very least take it for a PPI, there is a great place that specalise in MB around Howick/Botany are.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:15 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Also I should mention that last quote I got for rotors was $1500 through the dealer (about 6 weeks ago). Due to the weight, importing them from the US was about the same price. I see that someone posted up a pile of things wrong with it in the Q&A section of the ad.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:16 AM

Nothing!
Yea I checked it out today and there is quite a bit wrong with it that wasnt listed in auction. Nothing which is a complete disaster but a lot of little things that will add up. Previously owned a c55 and done engine swaps and basically everything else on a car. The ABS/ESP does slightly scare me as if its not the brake sensor or steering angle sensor then really who knows.. Be interesting to see how much it sells for. I think the most expensive issue will actually be the window screen and getting exhaust sorted... Its straight pipped with no mufflers or anything and it's just dumb loud.. Sad to see such a nice car in that way...
Old 04-21-2019, 03:24 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Unfortunately I see a few slightly older c and e class mercedes purchased by people who can't take care of them. I suspect most get written off fairly quickly when they fail warrants. Mostly see them in the less affluent areas with bad cosmetic issues, rough paint, torn seats etc, quite sad. There are always great condition low mileage fresh imports arriving in.

Out of interest, did you scan it for codes?
Old 04-21-2019, 03:41 AM

Nothing!
Yep people don't realise if you can't do the work yourself they are very expensive... I await the high number of c63 that will be scattered around the streets given they are so cheap now... Until they need fixing.

Na didn't scan it as just wanted to have a quick look around and then I could do my research if I was interested.

Thanks for the input... Will keep my eye on the price but it would need to go cheap to make it worthwhile. The agent (friend) of the guy selling was saying he thought it would go for 15k...i told him it needed close to 8k worth of work just to get it back to normal and that's without the abs issue if it turns out to be a big issue... Be lucky to get 10k...i would think.